HDCP to Begin on HBO Comedy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
get errow (hdcp) on all HBO channel, Have vizio VF552. Called vizio said was dish trob.
Called dish said had to used component cable, till they fix hdcp. If i hook
same hdmi cable into a 26" Samsung HBO work OK. Look like trouble is with TV with USB port

get errow (hdcp) on all HBO channel, Have vizio VF552. Called vizio said was dish trob.
same hdmi cable into a 26" Samsung HBO work OK. Look like trouble is with TV with USB port
The real problem is how HDCP is being carried out. HDCP is not seeing your TV as valid... whether thats an update needed for your TV or an update needed for the Dish Box ... no way to know for sure.. you *could* check your TV's firmware, and then check to see if there are any updated firmwares available for it..

With a USB port on the unit sounds like there is a way to update firmware on set. You may have to find it on Vizio site and dnld to thumb drive then run the install on the set. I would check and see if there is a support link on Vizio site to dnld updates. If that doesn't work then I would PM a DIRT member and see if they can help.

With a USB port on the unit sounds like there is a way to update firmware on set. You may have to find it on Vizio site and dnld to thumb drive then run the install on the set. I would check and see if there is a support link on Vizio site to dnld updates. If that doesn't work then I would PM a DIRT member and see if they can help.
already looked there's no direct update showing in Vizio's downloads area, also the set lists that its N connected (wireless) so most likely there should be a firmware update utility screen that downloads it across the net ...

We have a Visio in the bedroom hooked to a 722 using component. No problems yet.

My Vizio is set for auto update thu internet and firmwair is up to date.
The dish DVR 722 has software ver L677. The vizio tv work OK on component cable.
thank for reply.

Has there been a clear answer on this issue? I have 3 setups (722, 612 and 211), all with the same HDMI cables and HDCP compatible HDTVs. The 722 and 211 have no issue. The 612 goes back and forth on allowing these channels to be viewed, but most of the time they're blocked. Is Dish working on this? Is there a problem with the 612? Should I wait it out or give Dish a call? What do you think?

The 612 goes back and forth on allowing these channels to be viewed, but most of the time they're blocked. Is Dish working on this? Is there a problem with the 612? Should I wait it out or give Dish a call? What do you think?
I've seen it mentioned for a bad HDMI port .. thought it was the 622 but it might have been 612 .. I don't have a quick cheat sheet to look at ... if you search the forums for HDMI 612 and HDMI 622 you may find the recommended "get it replaced" and which one they said was at fault.

If you haven't tried component yet for the 612 (if it has it) I would do so, but make sure you unplug the HDMI cable at the receiver's side. If the receiver goes out there and sees an HDMI connection is available it may be cutting it off because it also sees component (don't know, but it seeing HDMI without HDCP is obviously a problem, so remove the HDMI and test again) If you don't run into any problems with the Component then that is nearly as good as HDMI just a thicker cable and on the opposite side.. you can always PM one of the Dish IRT folks and ask them ... if they've got listed HDMI/HDCP issues with the 612 ... etc..

while each receiver has similar hardware they aren't all identical. and then there's the firmware (where to start on that problem)

One of the clear problems with Dish/Echostar is that a problem (bug) could exist in the base code for a 612 and a 722 ... but the 722 firmware gets updated and fixes said bug.. but no one ever looked at that bug and compared it back to the problem in the 612 and said "oh this bugfix could be applied there too"

I know.. that seems stupid and not all together "with it" for dish .. Sue Prize ! :) Welcome to Dish. it would be so much funnier if it weren't so horribly true. :)

I've not seen anywhere an explanation of what made the HDMI connector on the respective dish receiver bad.. just that it was confirmed that one series of Dish Receiver had a problem and ended up needing replacement. :(

In the technical aspects of HDMI / HDCP .. the issue is really HDCP isn't happening properly. HDCP is done through a hand shake methodology ... "hi, I'm a dish 612 receiver I need to set HDCP on, TV what are you?" .... tv comes back with "HI.. I'm TV, I support X,Y,Z" Dish receiver: "I didn't follow you there.. you support what?" .. you get the idea.. somewhere the attempt to do HDCP fails to be communicated properly ... at that point it becomes a war to find out who's more wrong, and thus has the responsibility to fix the problem.

should be.. yes.. however.. HDCP renegotiates the connection periodically to make sure you haven't slipped something into the connection .. like turned off a device in parallel to your tv ... and after the initial hdcp you turn it on to copy the bits... so at any time there is a problem.. it could fail HDCP and then tell you you're not compliant.

Thats one of the problems I've had.. 722k going to an el cheapo Dynex TV .... with the TV off .. hdmi connected, I was getting HDCP failures when trying to record PPV for view later. The problem was so bad, that it was causing the 722k to reboot sometimes a minute or two, sometimes 10 or 15 mins would go by... got a whole spat of free movie coupons out of that deal.. plus they replaced the 722k (which I wish hadn't happened, I'm just leary of getting someone else's 722 problem.. though this one's worked fairly well).

Just thought I'd add to this thread, Sharp lc60e88un tv, dish 722 receiver. In the last couple weeks when I turn on the TV I see the 890 message for about 2 seconds then it goes away on it's own. System info says hdcp =YES. I don't get hbo channels, anything else I can do to test or could this be a dish bug in their latest firmware?

I've seen it mentioned for a bad HDMI port .. thought it was the 622 but it might have been 612 .. I don't have a quick cheat sheet to look at ... if you search the forums for HDMI 612 and HDMI 622 you may find the recommended "get it replaced" and which one they said was at fault.
The 622 had a POS HDMI connector that if you looked at it cross eyed it went bad or broke completely off the mobo. That is why I have a 722k. Mine broke completely off and shorted out. Due to these problems I was able thru a DIRT member(before they were even called that) to get it w/o the major upgrade fee. I did have a new 2 yr contract but that wasn't a problem.

I had noticed issues with HDCP on PPV movies last year. I tried to rent a PPV movie on my 722 at TV2 and received an error message due to the receiver not being able to detect HDCP. I checked the System Info 2 screen which confirmed no HDCP. I then went to TV1 and turned on the TV, TV2 allowed me to rent the movie. I turned off TV1 and the movie stopped. I figured out that the HDCP handshake would not happen if the TV was off. However, once I unplugged the HDMI from the receiver it no longer tried the HDCP handshake. Since going to component cables I have not had any problems with either TV1 or TV2 on any channels, including HBO.

I checked to see if the same issue occurred with HBO. Sure enough, if I have an HDMI plugged in at TV1 I cannot watch HBO on TV2 if TV1 is off. Back to components I guess.

It seems to depend on whether the TV will make the HDCP handshake while it is off. When this happened last year I checked other peoples receiver/TV setups and most would report HDCP yes even when the TV was off.

How do you check HDCP off/on while TV1 is off? I can't get to that part of the menu from TV2. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

I had a HDMI cable plugged straight from the 622 to the tv and I was unable to watch HBO in any other room using the coaxial cable and either TV1 or TV2. Once I switched back to the component cables I was able to watch HBO on the other tv's in the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)