HDD on Our 508 Finally Dieing

brentp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Looks like the HDD on our 508 is finally dieing after ~ 4years. I can't remember how long, but we bought this just as Dish was adding the DVR fees and we jump at a special 508 price with no-DVR fee grandfather option.

Last week we started getting audio drop outs, then video would freeze and skip forward. This rapidly got worse. Thinking I could fix it, I performed a push button reset. Oh no, . . . the system would go through the init sequence, reset itself, and repeat the loop. So, . . . a hard reset (unplug for ~ 10 min) was in order and it fortunately came back. Live shows ok, but same recorded show issues. After finding some diagnostic codes on-line, I ran the HDD diag #1 (pause-1), and it came back with an error. Must be a bad HDD I figured.

What to do? We didn't really feel like going the DHPP for a month route - this DVR doesn't owe us much anymore. So, . . . we agreed just to call Dish and see what they would offer. After ~ 15 minutes of 'diagnostics', the on-line tech said, . . . "your HDD is corrupted and can't be repaired". As they say in the Guinness commercials - Brilliant!! :)

Ok - how much to fix? A refurbished 508 for $19.99 plus $14.99 for shipping (2 - days). Seamed reasonable to us - for $35 we will get this unit replaced with a call on Monday and a new unit at our door on Wednesday. About the cost of a new HDD I would say. Anyway - thought I'd pass this along as an alternative route to others that might be needing replacement 508s.

Very positive response from Dish I would say, . . . now if we could only migrate from our Dish 6000 to the Vip622 without having to fork over $21/month we would be VERY happy. Just can’t justify $252/year plus the $199 upfront ($450 first year) for an HD PVR plus a few extra HD channels. Oh well, . . . that's another topic I guess. :)

Last edited:
This gets better, . . . I looked at my online bill last night and the shipping shows $0.0. So this may have only been $20 to replace.

Receiver arrived yesterday and we are back in business!!! Works out just right, . . . we are headed out for the weekend and wanted to record a number of shows.

Great that things worked out so well. I'm surprised they still have 508s to send out.

FWIW, once you watch a bit of HD, you'll probably decide $20/month or so is well worth it.

Great that things worked out so well. I'm surprised they still have 508s to send out.

FWIW, once you watch a bit of HD, you'll probably decide $20/month or so is well worth it.

Agreed on the HD being worth something. We already have have HD, love it, & can get ~ 14 local digital stations OTA. We are also grandfathered in on the original Dish HD $10/month package. We the lease fees, DVR fees, and required HD Package upgrade, we just don't see $240/year ($450 first year) as justified for an HD PVR and a few more HD channels.

I'm sure our hand will be forced at sometime, . . . but until then, . . .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)