HDDVD over BR in NYC?

alexgmny

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
NYC
I live in NYC. I have a the Xbox 360 and its HDDVD drive. As a result I have been buying HDDVD movies. I usually get them at Best Buy and everytime I go to buy a new movie (Superman Returns, Miami Vice, The Departed, etc) the HDDVD format is always sold out. The store offers me B.R. I have to wait usually 3 weeks after the initial release to get the movie. Now is that a sign that HDDVD is selling out more than B.R.? Does anybody else living in NYC have the same problem?

HDDVD format is always sold out. The store offers me B.R. I have to wait usually 3 weeks after the initial release to get the movie. Now is that a sign that HDDVD is selling out more than B.R.? Does anybody else living in NYC have the same problem?

It may have alot to do with Best Buy being in the BR corner and trying to push BR onto their customers.

odd, at my local best buy, they have about equal HD-DVD's and BD. Circuit city near me is the big BD pusher. They have a big display while HD-DVD's are just mixed in with regular DVD's.

I live in NYC. . . .I usually get them at Best Buy and everytime I go to buy a new movie (Superman Returns, Miami Vice, The Departed, etc) the HDDVD format is always sold out. . . . I have to wait usually 3 weeks after the initial release to get the movie. Now is that a sign that HDDVD is selling out more than B.R.?

Could mean a lot of things. But the thing that stuck out for me is if you're waiting 3 weeks for new releases, you should consider buying online, for a much lower price and probably get them faster. ;)

I've bought 90% of my HD DVD's from Amazon, and only 1 from "Worst Buy".

Another online source I just started using is hdmoviesource.com. A little higher than Amazon, but I pre-ordered "The Departed" HD DVD and got it Tuesday, the release day. Use "new10" as a coupon code and get 10% discount on your first order. If you have Paypal, sign up for their $15 rebate promo and get $15 back for any purchase over $30 when using Paypal as payment. :eureka

It may have alot to do with Best Buy being in the BR corner and trying to push BR onto their customers.

I disagree. I went there last night and they have an LCD monitor right next to the entrance playing Batman Begins on an HD DVD player.

I agree about the sold out new releases on HD DVD. I keep TRYING to buy them day and date but they are always sold out.... Sounds like I have to start going there at 10 am on Tuesday morning or I should just wait for a few weeks....

Could mean a lot of things. But the thing that stuck out for me is if you're waiting 3 weeks for new releases, you should consider buying online, for a much lower price and probably get them faster. ;)

I've bought 90% of my HD DVD's from Amazon, and only 1 from "Worst Buy".

Another online source I just started using is hdmoviesource.com. A little higher than Amazon, but I pre-ordered "The Departed" HD DVD and got it Tuesday, the release day. Use "new10" as a coupon code and get 10% discount on your first order. If you have Paypal, sign up for their $15 rebate promo and get $15 back for any purchase over $30 when using Paypal as payment. :eureka

I bought a few online from Buy.com before Christmas... Smallville on HD DVD took 5 weeks to show up, a few catalag titles took 2-3 weeks....

I bought a few online from Buy.com before Christmas... Smallville on HD DVD took 5 weeks to show up, a few catalag titles took 2-3 weeks....

Doesn't sound like Buy.com is a good source for HD DVD.

Using Amazon's Free Shipping (USPS), it takes about a week for items in stock.

The other HD DVD I ordered from hdmoviesource.com was "Babel". Got an email this morning that it's shipped today; I should have by Tuesday, the release day. :)

I used the standard "Media Mail" shipping which is supposed to be 7-10 days......

I couldn't beat the prices though....... Combined with the Google Checkout promotion, I got the Smallville box set on HD DVD for under $30....

I disagree. I went there last night and they have an LCD monitor right next to the entrance playing Batman Begins on an HD DVD player.

Are you so sure it was an HD DVD demo? Even though it hasn't been released yet on BD, Batman Begins is on one of the Blu-ray demo discs.

Yes, it was an HD DVD player (I checked since I was curious) Right between the main entrance and the new Magnolia Home Theater area (that was playing King King on ITS screen in front of the couch meant to lure folks in).

BluRay had an end cap of a gondola with an LCD screen of its own. XMen 3 was on that one...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)