HDMI 1.4 cable

johnny58259

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I just bought a 47 inch lg 3d passive tv and I am now buying a lg 3d blu ray player. Do I need the 1.4 HDMI cable to get 3d to pass through or will my existing HDMI cable work

You need to pay attention to the HDMI cable. High Speed HDMI 1.3 cables can support all HDMI 1.4 features, including most 3D formats, but only 1.4 supports the barely-used HDMI Ethernet Channel.

DrOrb

His point was that there is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable, and that is true.

There is High Speed and High Speed with Ethernet, but not an actual 1.4 cable - just doesn't exist.

Even many of the older "standard bandwidth" cables were up to the high speed specs. These days, pretty much all cables are high speed. I always just say try it and if it doesn't work, then buy a new cable.

The ethernet and arc functions add wires, and so add to costs, so they are marketed separately. If you don't need these functions, don't buy them.

Still, there are folks who need to have the latest and greatest, even if it doesn't make sense. The manufacturers (like Monster) will happily package 1.4 cables and market them right next to the "DIGITAL HDTV" antennas. Pure marketing hype, but it works and lets them get a higher profit margin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)