HDMI 2.0 - hold off buying a new AVR

Will you hold off AV purchases until they have HDMI 2.0 support?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No- I'm not interested in the new features.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No- I'm interested in the new features, but need to buy soon.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
The HDMI 2.0 specs were released last month. If you are considering buying an AVR or certain other equipment (TV, BD player, etc), you would be well advised to hold off on that purchase for a little while. You might as well get HDMI 2.0 capable equipment. BTW, current high speed HDMI cables will work just fine with 2.0.

HDMI 2.0 improvements of interest:

UHDTV ("4K TV") support to 60 fps
Improved color space (covered in above link)
21:9 screen support
Multiple audio streams
Multiple video streams
Improved 3D TV support (3D with better multi-channel audio)

UHDTV will certainly make 3D PQ better, and some claim it will allow for glasses free 3D. Even if you have no interest in 3D, things may change down the road. Future proofing.

The new Blu-ray specs for UHDTV/HDMI 2.0 support are expected out by the end of the year (maybe). I for one will not be buying another BD player that does not support HDMI 2.0.

DisplayPort for consumer TV may be considered dead.

NOW- Have I convinced you to hold off AV purchases until they have HDMI 2.0 support?

Yeah, outside of the PS4 which claims to support 4K for movies I'm not buying any new components for a while. I'm getting the PS4 for gaming but I do currently use a PS3 slim as my main blu-ray player too. I never bothered to buy a standalone player because I already had a PS3 and it works well enough for my needs.

The PS4 will likely become my main player once it arrives. If it fully supports standard and 3D 4K blu-ray when that time comes that's great. If it doesn't I will end up buying a standalone player that does at the same time as my upgrade to a HDMI 2.0 AVR. I have considered picking up an Oppo a couple times over the last few years. Maybe the switch to HDMI 2.0 will finally push me over the edge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)