HDMI Analysis Results - Still no picture - Help??

kovach

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis
Can anyone tell my if these results should allow a picture to be shown on my tv? I've been trying to hook up my VIP622 through HDMI without success; still using component but the DRM issues have me planning ahead. Thanks.
  • HDMI STATUS:
    • Status 1
      • video format: 720p
      • timebase: bavctimebase_e
      • output port: hdmi
      • matrix coefficient: hdmi_rgb
      • aspect ratio: sar
      • audio supply ratio: 48k
      • audio format: pcm
    • Status 2
      • audio bits: 16
      • enable/commit dvi: 1/1
      • enable hdcp: 0
      • state:
      • edid awuire: 1
      • rx state: 1
      • av state: 1
      • hdcp enable: 0
  • MONITOR DATA
    • Info 1
      • vendor: 1d 4d d9
      • product: 1d 00 95
      • serial number: 01010101
      • version: 1.3
      • extensions: 1
      • features: 10
      • horizontal size (cm): 70
      • vertical size (cm): 40
    • Info 2
      • manufacturer week/year: 50/2005
      • port: hdmi
      • name: sony tv
      • supported formats: 1080i, 480p, 720p, 480i
      • range: v-(58,62), h=(15,46), pc=80
  • HDCP APP STATE
    • HDCP
      • state
        • unencrypted
        • enforce: 0
        • possible: 1
        • permit: 1
        • connected: 1
      • attempts/successes: 51/45
      • suprise successes: 43
  • H/W
    • HDMI Hardware Status
      • hotplug register: 0x01
      • 12c register: 0x03
      • output format: hdmi mode (1)
      • audio format (pcm mode (0)
      • rx supported formats: pcm;
      • hdmi enabled from tx (stb) side: true
      • hdmienabled from rx (tv) side: lines active
Also, on the 'analysis' screen, it shows: (the first is changeable, the others are greyed out so you can't change them):

• hdmi on/off: on
  • color srqe: rgb
  • hdcp enable: off
It also has a whole bunch of EDID pages, looks like hex characters; also some rxksv, txksv, and at characters; I could add those later if anyone deems then necessary to help me isolate my problem.

Thanks!

I had the same problem, but my HD-DVD worked fine with same cable and input. I called Dish jumped through the hoops ( unplug this and that etc...) They sent me a new ( refurb ) box and magically the HDMI worked perfectly, unfortuneately it started rebooting over and over, but that is another issue alltogether, third 622 on its way.

I had the same problem, but my HD-DVD worked fine with same cable and input. I called Dish jumped through the hoops ( unplug this and that etc...) They sent me a new ( refurb ) box and magically the HDMI worked perfectly, unfortuneately it started rebooting over and over, but that is another issue alltogether, third 622 on its way.

Wow. I wonder if it's not just worth my while to upgrade to the 722, maybe they fixed the HDMI bugs??

i have a 722 and hdmi works flawlessly. one thing to consider, if you have dvi anywhere in your HT chain, you will most likely see problems.

i have a 722 and hdmi works flawlessly. one thing to consider, if you have dvi anywhere in your HT chain, you will most likely see problems.

I have a HDMI to DVI cable going from my audio video receiver to my TV and have had zero problems with at all (using HDMI from the E* receiver to the AV receiver).

I don't have DVI anywhere.

I guess I'll temporarily purchase an HD DVD player and try it out hoping to rule out my cable and TV.

Emailed tech support, interesting reply:
Thank you for your email. Issues involving the HDMI connection can be caused by either software or hardware issues. HDMI and HDCP have several compatibility issues that affect more than just DISH Network. If possible, attempt to connect another HDMI device that is outputting the same resolution (720p or 1080i) to the TV, as well as trying a different HDMI cable. If the TV and the cable prove functional, we can replace your receiver. If the replacement receiver has the same issue, the problem is due to incompatibility between the receiver and your TV. Our engineering department is constantly working to correct these issues. It may be necessary to use a component (Y/PB/PR) cable to receive HD programming.
After replying back explaining I'm quite happy with my component hookup but was just trying HDMI due to the DRM concerns, I got the following reply:
Thank you for your email. There are currently no plans to force customers to use HDMI connections. There are still some compatibility with HDMI connections and TVs with Dish Network equipment and other devices using these connections. HDMI does provide a better picture quality and can also carry sound, but at this time there is no plan to use this connection solely.
After replying back again stating I know I'll always get video via component but was worried they may lower the resolution (of no fault of their own but their content providers over copywrite issues) to persuade me to go HDMI, I got this reply:
Thank you for your email. Component cables do not have the ability to be downgraded below high definition quality due to the fact that the hardware is what makes them high definition. This cannot be changed remotely or with a software upgrade. There are no plans to reduce the quality of video provided with component cables. In fact, you can even receive a higher resolution than 720p with both types of cable. All of our HD programming is broadcast in 1080i if your television will support that.

I also have a Sony TV so I was starting to think that there was a compatibility issue. But I tried the HDMI on a small Toshiba and got the same results. Had a tech over yesterday to check it (and repoint my dish since I lost the 129 sat signal when it rained). He tried a 622 and the HDMI worked fine with that. So I should be getting a 722 replacement in a few days. The component video looks great, I just want to reduce the rats nest of wires behind the TV.

For what it's worth, my HDMI diagnostics looked similar to yours, with the exception of
"hdmienabled from rx (tv) side: lines inactive".
That sounds like my 722 can see the TV, but the TV doesn't see the 722. I'm not sure what to make of your diagnostics. Kinda looks like it should be working. (But I'm far from being an expert on this!)

That's good news about the inability to downgrade component video...if you trust what they say ;)

I don't trust it at all!

My component does look good. And I don't even mind the rats nest of wires (with a DVD-R, VHS, CD-R, TV, Cassette, Dish Receiver, and 8 speakers all hooked into my surround sound...4 wires less is a drop in the ocean).

I just don't want to end up with lower resolution if they actually impliment HDCP and there's no major revolt to undo that.

Not sure if this is related to this topic...had a 2 box NC today with a 722 and a 222.
the 722 was hooked up by HDMI, the tv would keep flashing to a picture then no signal repeatedly.....this was my fix during the intermitten picture loss i managed to set the HD setup from 480i to 1080i picture came in and worked flawlessly... the 222 was hooked up by component and was working fine...left the customers home and about an hour later they called and said they had purchased an hdmi cable for the 222 (which was already set to 1080i) to tell me that it was flashing the same way, picture then no picture...walked them thru changing it from 1080i to 720p... picture fine...reset back to 1080i and picture fine???? anyone else see this happen?

HDMI is an unmitigated pile of crap!

Works fine on my AppleTV and PS3, but has never worked on any STB I have tried, including DirecTivo HR10-250, SA 8300HD, SA 8300HDC, and VIP722.

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!:mad:

Ted

HDMI is an unmitigated pile of crap!

Works fine on my AppleTV and PS3, but has never worked on any STB I have tried, including DirecTivo HR10-250, SA 8300HD, SA 8300HDC, and VIP722.

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!:mad:

Ted

Odd...I'm using HDMI with my VIP722 and works perfectly, and I can tell a difference between HDMI and Component. I once went down to Component for a few minutes so I could use the HDMI for something else and I noticed a difference. I have a Sony TV with HDMI 1.1 and HDCP....works perfectly displays 1080 without any trouble.

I had similar problems with a a 722 and a Sony TV turned out to be the HDMI cable. Change the cable from a HDMI 1.3 cable to a HDMI 1.1 cable and everything cleared up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts