HDMI audio or manual calibration?

Stalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Kentucky
I just purchased a Samsung HT-C6600 5.1 home theatre system with 3D blu ray player, and after getting it all set up I noticed under the sound option there was a choice of hdmi audio on or off and if off it would take you through a room speaker sound calibration but if turned on there was no calibration steps to do.

My question is does anyone know which is better choice? I currently have a HD Dish 722 dvr and PS3 connected to it via hdmi in and out from it to my Samsung 43 inch 3D plasma TV.

The HDMI audio switch determines if audio signal is routed to your TV speakers. Thus it has nothing to do with the room calibration from the speakers supplied by the receiver.

Take a look at page 37 of the manual where they explain the function. Also the bottom of Page 36 they expplain that test tone is not available when the function is on.

If you are using the receiver for audio (and why wouldn't you) to one TV, you should set the switch to OFF.

Set it to on if you are using an HDMI splitter to route signals to a remote TV.

Makes sense. Do I need to run the calibration settings before I turn the hdmi audio on as if I do calibration options are not available?

Yes. Turning the HDMI audio on should not change the room tuning done at the receiver.

OTOH, why turn it on at all? The TV speakers are likely pretty poor, the receiver is converting that signal to stereo 2 channel and that will pollute the sound you most carefully set up with the receiver. Only reason would be to feed a second remote TV, and in that case, you should also disable the speakers on the primary TV. There is likely a menu option on the TV to do that.

Yes. Turning the HDMI audio on should not change the room tuning done at the receiver.

OTOH, why turn it on at all? The TV speakers are likely pretty poor, the receiver is converting that signal to stereo 2 channel and that will pollute the sound you most carefully set up with the receiver. Only reason would be to feed a second remote TV, and in that case, you should also disable the speakers on the primary TV. There is likely a menu option on the TV to do that.

My apologies...I just now understand what you were saying...Your saying turning the hdmi audio on in the settings menu of the reciever disables the reciever's audio and engages the TV speakers.

Not quite. According to the manual, it does not affect the receiver audio, turning it on just adds the TV speakers and volume control.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts