HDMI Audio and Component Video question

kevindef

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 12, 2004
I just purchased a SONY DA3400ES receiver and an LG Blu Ray player. My TV is an older HDTV Hitachi that only has Component Video inputs. I am using component video cables from the BD to the sony receiver and then out to the tv. Video this way is fine. I know I can not pass the video from an HDMI input to the component output. My question is, is it possible to run the HDMI cable form the BD to the sony receiver input so I can take advantage of the 7.1 audio. I have not been able to figure this out. When I go to the GUI and look under input for BD, I can select an HDMI port, but the choices to select audio are only Video 1: OPT, Video 2: OPT, MD/Tape: OPT, BD: Coax, and Analog. There isn't a selection for HDMI. Currently I am using the optical out on the BD to an optical in on the receiver to get audio, but this will not give me all the benefits of 7.1. I do have a 7.1 setup. My LG BD doesn't have separate outputs for 7.1. Thanks for any help and insight. Kevin

I just purchased a SONY DA3400ES receiver and an LG Blu Ray player. My TV is an older HDTV Hitachi that only has Component Video inputs. I am using component video cables from the BD to the sony receiver and then out to the tv. Video this way is fine. I know I can not pass the video from an HDMI input to the component output. My question is, is it possible to run the HDMI cable form the BD to the sony receiver input so I can take advantage of the 7.1 audio. I have not been able to figure this out. When I go to the GUI and look under input for BD, I can select an HDMI port, but the choices to select audio are only Video 1: OPT, Video 2: OPT, MD/Tape: OPT, BD: Coax, and Analog. There isn't a selection for HDMI. Currently I am using the optical out on the BD to an optical in on the receiver to get audio, but this will not give me all the benefits of 7.1. I do have a 7.1 setup. My LG BD doesn't have separate outputs for 7.1. Thanks for any help and insight. Kevin

Wow, that's a tough one.

You could always run the HDMI to the sony and the component video from the BR directly to the TV. Of course that means doing double source selection to play a BR, if you are interested in the 7.1. For a lot of movies it won't make a lot of difference, and you could probably live with what comes out of the Toslink cable.

My old Denon had a video select button that would allow me to choose different audio and video sources. In my current Onkyo, it becomes part of the configuration menus. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the Sonys.

I tried it, but it still won't work. I have to be doing something wrong, it just doesn't make any sense to me. I guess the solution would be a new TV, but that just isn't going to happen right now, my Hitachi works just fine. Thanks for the help!

Kevin,

Try using HDMI input 3 for audio and then component for the video. You should be able to assign from there. I take it you don't have the LG 390? This is a hard one as many players will output 480 when HDMi is connected, also.

S~

I finally figured it out. What a knot head I am!!! I did run the Component out from the Blu ray to the TV and the HDMI out from the Blu ray to my receiver. My mistake was, I kept using the Blu Ray input on the receiver rather than HDMI3 input. I had the BD plugged into HDMI3, but was still using the BD input selection. As soon as I changed the input to HDMI3 it all worked perfectly. I just needed to also go into the setting of the BD and change the audio to Pass through so it is decoded by my receiver. I really can't believe I was trying to figure this out for days and the solution was sooo simple. What a dummy I was!! Thanks for your help everyone!!!

I don't know how the LG blu ray works, but I have the same receiver and use to have a 55" Mitsubishi rear projection with only component inputs. I have a Sony BDP-S350 and you can send the audio through HDMI (direct) and video through component. This way I could get True DolbyHD and DTS-MA. All the settings were done through the Blu ray player. I set the video through 1080i component and Audio (direct) HDMI. See if the LG has the same settings available. Now that I have new plasma everything is HDMI.

The settings I have been using on the LG Blu Ray for:

Audio: set to "Primary Pass Through" - Sony Receiver does the decoding

video: Resolution is set to "Auto" I have run component cables directly from the BD to the TV.

For resolution my choices are:

Auto
480i
480p
720p
1080i
1080p

I wasn't sure if selecting 1080i was the best choice or Auto, so I figured go with Auto. It seems to do everything ok. Is there a reason to select 1080i over Auto?

I also have a selection for "Aspect Ratio"

16:9 Original or 16:9 Wide

I chose 16:9 original

the 16:9 wide seems to distort things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts