HDMI Cable Quality

knighthammer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
I've read quite a few posts here at SatGuys about buying HDMI cables from Monoprice as opposed to some of the large electronics box stores or buying Monster Cables. Monoprice cables are as good as if not better, etc. My question is this... what is the difference in quality of the HDMI cables available at Monoprice? They may have several 6' HDMI cables at different prices. So is the 35.00 one better than the 10.00 one? How do you know which one you need?

Look at the cable length, size (AWG), and the cable rating, some are v1.3 compliant; also some have a ferrite core, some have gold tips and some have an attractive net jacket. And some of nearly all that together.

Look at the cable length, size (AWG), and the cable rating, some are v1.3 compliant; also some have a ferrite core, some have gold tips and some have an attractive net jacket. And some of nearly all that together.

What does all of that mean to a guy who just wants to hook up his TV to a VIP622?

I would recommend getting a thinner cable, so long as you don't have a long run or interference. I have 2 I think I'll replace. Thick, heavy, outside netting. And they lean ever so slightly out of the socket, making me get up and replug them in every now and then. I suspect this won't be a problem with lighter cables.

What does all of that mean to a guy who just wants to hook up his TV to a VIP622?

Go cheap. It'll almost certainly work just fine- and you'll avoid stressing the HDMI socket on the ViP622, which is known to be delicate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts