HDMI Cable Question

Jamey K

Recovering Voomer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2005
West Texas
Is there a difference between an HDMI cable and an HDMI-DVI cable and what are they? Are both ends the same?

Thanks

If I am reading your question and example correctly, an HDMI cable is HDMI to HDMI (In/Out) and the HDMI-DVI would be use to convert or adapt HDMI to DVI. See the attached images from MonoPrice; #1 is HDMI - #2 is HDMI/DVI

Attachments

• HDMI.jpg
    HDMI.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 205
  • HDMI_DVI.jpg
    HDMI_DVI.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 198
If I am reading your question and example correctly, an HDMI cable is HDMI to HDMI (In/Out) and the HDMI-DVI would be use to convert or adapt HDMI to DVI. See the attached images from MonoPrice; #1 is HDMI - #2 is HDMI/DVI

Thanks Charper. My HDMI cable is about two inches two short. It's been so long since I bought the cable, I couldn't remember if I had used a standard HDMI cable or if there was an actual HDMI/DVI cable.

What is interesting is, I'm using the HDMI output of a DVR and an input on my TV called "HDMI/DVI". But the insert for the cable is an HDMI jack. At any rate, I'm using a HDMI cable and it's working. Just too short.

Both HDMI and DVI use TMDS to send 10-bit characters that are encoded using 8b/10b encoding for the Video Data Period and 2b/10b encoding for the Control Period. HDMI adds the ability to send audio and auxiliary data using 4b/10b encoding for the Data Island Period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)