HDMI connection

pcaffari

Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Hey guys
I have another intersting question here. Again my tv is a Sony KV-30HS420, that is 30in. HD ready, tube, flat screen. I went all out and bought a DVI-to-HDMI cable, to connect the 811 receiver to the tv on input video #7. If you then connect and S-viedo cable from the same receiver to, say, input video #1 or #2, you can filp between the 2 inputs to compare picture quality between the two cable. Ok here is my question. Why do I see small side bars (ONLY less that 1 inch thick) when I tune to input video #7 (the one with the HDMI cable)? Like if the picture should fill the screen but it doesn't by 1 inch. When you swicht it back to input video#1, using s-video or composite cable, the picture fills the screen completely. I'm not talking about the different format broadcasting here, I think it's a different deal. Has anyone seen this? Sony hasn't been very helpful yet. Thanx.....p

is your tv a 16x9 widescreen or 4x3? is almost sounds like your tv is handling the inputs differently. I know on my 52" tv each input has different setting.

The tv is 16X9, and I don't think there are any special individual settings for each input. Unlike a computer monitor where you can move and stretch the picture, the only adjustment I can do is a vertical shift from center, and tilt.

PC vs TV

It's doing a 1:1 pixel mapping. (It's using your monitor more like a PC). You're TV in all likelyhood has a setting for PC vs TV (using DVI/HDMI). Setting the input to TV as opposed to PC will result in overscan, thereby eliminating the "framing" of the image. This is NOT the same as zoom.

Keep us informed of your progress.

pcaffari - Is the 811 set for 16x9 output? Is the 811 set for 1080i output? Are you tuned to an SD or HD channel?

If you are set for 16x9/1080i, and using the DVI/HDMI input on the TV, your Sony will see the image as HD, even when it is SD. This means that you will get the sidebars. The Sony's zoom function will not work. (It doesn't work on my and older Sony's, anyway.)

You need to use the 811's pge up button on the remote to change the HD output stretch mode. (Page down for the SD output stretch mode.) This is only for SD content. With HD content, everything should be fine.