HDMI conversion to coax??

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
I have an older rca 19 inch tube tv. It only has a coax connection. No red, yellow and white connections. I'm wanting to add a Roku to the tv. What would I need to convert the picture to coax and is there even a device that would convert HDMI to red, yellow and white and then to coax? Thanks, Andy

I agree with navy on this one. They do make them, but they are expensive. Much cheaper just to run grab a cheap 19" TV.

you need an RF modulator to convert the RCA to RF coax connection. Amazon product ASIN B0014KKV7W under 20.00 so not that expensive at all. you may even find one in a local electronics store, but it would be pure luck.

Yes you would get a much better picture changing to a new hd tv, but I can understand not wanting to go this route.

And you will also need one of these...Amazon product ASIN B00LK95VNQ
or you could spend $25 more dollars and watch it in HD... Amazon product ASIN B004P5I666
Kinda like dropping an ecoboost engine into an Oregon trail wagon! LOL!!! :D

37_kakebeenwa.jpg

Reactions: k.r. and navychop
Is the picture on a set that old still clear and bright and not faded?

I have 27" and 36" CRT TVs with excellent pictures. Yours free, just take them and their remotes away.

Heck, I'll throw in $50 for your gas.

Interested? :haha I wish.

Hmmm. I should have gotten the free labor on Turkey day to put them in my pickup. The FFX dump -err, recycling center, will take them any day now. Maybe at Christmas, or Turkey day next year.

you need an RF modulator to convert the RCA to RF coax connection. Amazon product ASIN B0014KKV7W under 20.00 so not that expensive at all. you may even find one in a local electronics store, but it would be pure luck.

Yes you would get a much better picture changing to a new hd tv, but I can understand not wanting to go this route.
I am quite aware of these and used to sell a ton of them. However, they do not answer the question the OP asked. These do not do HDMI.
You can buy a very over priced box to convert HDMI to channel 3 RF. or...you can get a HDMI to composite like Titanium posed and get what you posted. Then it starts getting silly.
For a few bucks more it would be more logical in this situation to replace the TV set.

Reactions: navychop
For the cost of the electronics and the power consumption differential over a two or three years, you can probably get a small TV at Walmart that has all the requisite inputs and maybe even an NTSC+DTV tuner.

It would be cheaper to get a Roku2 for like $20 where you get the composit out. From there go to Walmart and for $15 you can get a RF modulator.

If you don't replace the roku, then go on eBay and find an HDMI to composit adaptor before you run it into the modulator.

But you got $50 in parts to do this, and to be honest I don't know if the picture will convert over exactly right if your going from HDMI.

You should have no issues going from composite if you had a roku 2

I have a 32 Sony HDTV tube television with component. I had to get a converter to go from HDMI to component to get it to work. It did an Ok job, but I ended up just getting a new Tv. What s difference

I would probably say it's Black Friday. Go out and spend $100 on a new Tv

my assumption was he would get the roku model with RCA outputs since it supports older tvs.

the HDMI portion I discarded because as you say, it makes no sense to convert HDMI to composite then to RF once you figure in the needed adapters.

I have 27" and 36" CRT TVs with excellent pictures. Yours free, just take them and their remotes away.

Heck, I'll throw in $50 for your gas.

Interested? :haha I wish.

Hmmm. I should have gotten the free labor on Turkey day to put them in my pickup. The FFX dump -err, recycling center, will take them any day now. Maybe at Christmas, or Turkey day next year.
Ha, my son just bought a 27" Sony crt HD monitor made in 2005 for $25 last weekend. It even has a HDMI port. We're using it for older game systems and it makes them look really good. But it is heavy as hell (96 lbs) and I'm sure it's using a crap load of power. So I'll have to turn down your generous offer!

Reactions: navychop
Not on a 19 inch Tv.
Even on a 19" TV. There are some cheap scalers that really butcher SD; especially SD that isn't relatively high quality to begin with (EP VHS).

Remember that we're talking about a TV that lives in a world where everything is connected via RF and jumping to a world that once again may no longer have composite or S-video connections.

Reactions: andy_horton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)