HDMI failure on HR23

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rta53

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
North Carolina
I can no longer get a signal from the HDMI connection on my HR23. I can still get composite. My TV is fine because my Blu-Ray HDMI connection works fine. If I look at the resolutions setup on the HR23 it's giving me the message that I need to connect an HDMI cable. It's obviously not detecting the connection. I have the protection plan. If I call CS what should I expect. Will they just ship me a replacement? The bummer is that I have a bunch of new shows recorded that I haven't watched. Any way I can save them or transfer them?

Make sure you tell them you HAVE the HDMI cable due to stereo reasons or something. If not I've heard them say hook it up another way, you'll still get 1080i out if it but most people say ok and that's that. As far as transferring movies and recordings that's not really my "thing" so I'll have to let somebody else chime in. Btw, have you tried the HDMI slot that you know works on the tv with the HR23?

You can't transfer the programs but you could watch them via component and then when you're caught up give them a call.

charper1 said:
you might even consider saying the receiver doesn't work; at all. thus assuring a replacement

Yeah. Just when they to through the troubleshooting over the phone just tell then it won't power on and then they'll send a tech out. Just tell the tech what's really going on and they should just swap the box for you. Technically they don't want us doing that but if it doesn't work 100% I swap it lol

Another thing about the HR23 is that it now takes 30 seconds before I get any kind of signal. Used to get a signal right after the blue circle stopped spinning. I can't believe they would actually say "hook it up another way" if the HDMI was dead.

That's just normal for anything older then the 24 series it seems. Perfect at first then slowly starts losing it's quickness

I went thru this the same issue recently with a HR22. Called tech support and described the various checks and reboots done to confirm a failed HDMI output. The TS person was very pleasant and made arrangements to ship out a replacement. I did tell her I need both HDMI and component outputs because I feed 2 TV's. She did, however, mention they tell people to just use the component output if the HDMI failed. My impression of her comment was in the context that some probably don't know the component output is HD. It wasn't much of a discussion point because she already had the replacement programmed to be shipped. I do not have the protection plan. Cost to me was about $20 for the shipping. I got a HR22 refurbished unit in less than a week. Works fine.

Other postings on the forum suggests there's no convenient way to recover recorded programs.

As to whether they will ship to you or have a tech come out is an unknown. When I upgraded to a DVR a couple years back a tech drove 250 miles round trip to deliver the unit. I asked if they could just ship it..... her "computer" said no. However the recent replacement unit was shipped. In your case since you have the protection plan having a tech make the deliver will verify signal strength is OK and dish alignment verified. Using the approach the unit stopped working wouldn't be a fabrication.... after all you were using the HDMI setup and it stopped working.

In my case the experience was painless.

Having the protection plan it's more your choice. As stated already I would suggest having a tech come.

Tell them it doesn't power up .... If they send the unit in the mail, hook the other recvr up via Component, watch your shows, then send it back when your done, they usually give you a week to return the old unit.

Well I connected the TV via component cable and still no signal. Evidentally whatever processes the HD signal is toast. The only thing that works is composite. Time to call CS.

Just wanted to update what happened with this. They shipped me a refurbished HR23. Looks almost new except for a few marks on the back. Came with a bag of cables including HDMI and a new remote. The CS dude said I could keep my old remote because they usually throw them away. I'm pleased with the service and response I got.

Just wanted to update what happened with this. They shipped me a refurbished HR23. Looks almost new except for a few marks on the back. Came with a bag of cables including HDMI and a new remote. The CS dude said I could keep my old remote because they usually throw them away. I'm pleased with the service and response I got.

Good to see all is resolved !

System test failure

I ran a system test today and I got a message saying my receiver is configured for the incorrect satellite dish. Everything seems to be working fine so should I be concerned about this? The message said to call CS. The info screen says I have a Slimline 5 dish. Not really sure what dish I have. Is there any way to verify the dish type?

rta53 said:
I ran a system test today and I got a message saying my receiver is configured for the incorrect satellite dish. Everything seems to be working fine so should I be concerned about this? The message said to call CS. The info screen says I have a Slimline 5 dish. Not really sure what dish I have. Is there any way to verify the dish type?

You can check in the System Menu, it will tell you what the recvr sees.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Jimbo said:
You can check in the System Menu, it will tell you what the recvr sees.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I thought that was where I was checking. It's the list you get when you select "more system info". It says Slimline 5.

Jimbo said:
OK, and your saying thats NOT what you have ?

I don't know what dish I have. Maybe it is a Slimline 5 and the Satellite setup is set for something else. When I went through the setup after getting my replacement HR23, I was on the phone with the CSR and just did what he said. Should I go through the setup again? I don't want to screw it up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts