HDMI issues 211/411/622

Well 1st its not all on Dish's end! Sometimes its on the TV's end also and not everyone is haveing issues. Either way I think Dish is addressing the issue with the folks that are having the issue.

Well 1st its not all on Dish's end! Sometimes its on the TV's end also and not everyone is haveing issues. Either way I think Dish is addressing the issue with the folks that are having the issue.
I tried to attach the pdf file so others could
read the bulletin..I don't see the attachment here....
ok now I've got it...Please read the bulletin in the attachment..The explanatin is there..Thanks

Attachments

• 102992_20061101v1HDMICSCDN.pdf
    86.3 KB · Views: 286
I have the Dish 211 hooked up to a Sony KV-36HS510 (4x3 aspect ratio). I recently bought an HDMI to DVI cable to try to get the optimum picture. For some reason, when I set the resolution on the receiver above 480P (720P and 1080i) it vertically compresses the image on every station, HD and standard. When I try to adjust the picture (stretch, partial zoom, etc.) I can only change the HD settings (no SD) even on SD stations. Also the sound doesn't work through the HDMI/DVI. Are these common issues? Is there something wrong with the receiver?

I have the Dish 211 hooked up to a Sony KV-36HS510 (4x3 aspect ratio). I recently bought an HDMI to DVI cable to try to get the optimum picture. For some reason, when I set the resolution on the receiver above 480P (720P and 1080i) it vertically compresses the image on every station, HD and standard. When I try to adjust the picture (stretch, partial zoom, etc.) I can only change the HD settings (no SD) even on SD stations. Also the sound doesn't work through the HDMI/DVI. Are these common issues? Is there something wrong with the receiver?

Hello Bruno,

DVI connectors carry only video signals. HDMI connectors carry video and audio. HDMI to DVI cables pass only the video portion, you need separate cables (RCA, Coax, Optical) for the audio portion.

Sorry, can't help with the picture issue... :(

I discovered something intersting about sony tv's..They "learn"...I was at an install when the pic would not fill..I tried changing aspect rat. on the receiver to no avail..The tv would not allow me to change IT'S aspect rat. at all....The cust and I just gave up after 30 mins and then as I was about to leave, he exclaimed that the pic was ok...I looked and son of a bitch if it wasn't..I guess the tv needed time(maybe 10 mins or so) of solitude to learn the receiver..
This is a guess..But I cannot come to another conslusion....To set the tv to one hd channel make sure the receiver and tv aspect ratios match and leave it for 15 or 20 mins...
A note...The bulletin I posted deals with an HDMI cable/port that will not work at all...You thus far do not have that problem...

Sony 4:3 tube TVs automatically do letterbox on 1080i input. I do not know of a way to turn off this "feature". It is a feature listed in the Sony manual. I know it is a pain and I usually just feed the tv 480p on standard definition material. It would be that way if you fed it 1080i from a DVD player too, it is not an issue with the dish receiver.

I must be in the big minority on this. I have a 211 and 622. Both using HDMI. I have not had 1 single problem with the outputs on either receiver. I can imagine how frustrating it must be for some and I am glad I don't have the problem. I just wish we could get some definitive answer on how widespread it is.

Obviously, we normally only hear from those with problems so the results might seem skewed. Also, there are probably a fair number of people not even using the HDMI outputs so they don't know if their's is defective.

That was me until last week...
Is there a way to slip this issue into a Charlie Chat or one of those forums?

because Dish acknowledges in the bulletin we received earlier this week that there is a problem with the HDMI connections in these boxes, one would assume there is a fix on the way...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts