HDMI LINE LOSS?

MikeinBaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
San Diego area (CA)
Anyone have any idea at which cable length you begin to get degraded performane from HDMI cable due to line loss?

I'm thinking of a redesign that would cause me to run about 25' of HDMI from my DTV receiver to my HD LCD Sony.

It depends on the quality of the cables. I hate to admit it but at CEDIA there was a demonstration of various HDMI cables and they aren't all created equal. I use a 25 foot from Monoprice but only drive a 720p projector.

Figured that not all HDMI cables were equal. I'll be pushing from a DTV H20 to a 1080P HD LCD, so I would expect that even somewhat minor line loss could cause display degredation.

You remember any of the specifics from the demo?

i run the bottom of the line monoprice 35' cable- with no problems.... If understand hdmi correctly- You either get a picture or not--- it doesnt degrade on a percentage basis

Gizmodo did some testing of different HDMI cables including Monster and Monoprice. They posted very interesting results. Check it out:

The Truth About Monster Cable, Part 2 (Verdict: Cheap Cables Keep Up...Usually)

Judging from these results, I would have to reiterate my original position, that it's best to skimp at short distances, but you don't want to be caught with the wrong cable installed in your walls. Even with the projector, it might be smart to buy a $30 cable first and see if it works, but be prepared, when upgrading your gear, to upgrade the cable too. Does it have to be Monster? Hell no, but you might have to pay something close to a Monster-sized price.

The truth is, the bigger rip-off appears to be the $20 XtremeHD cable. It didn't perform as well as stuff one-fifth the price. (No wonder they don't sell a 10-meter cable.) I would say beware of mid-priced cable of dubious origin. Our dealings with Monoprice lead us to believe that at least they know what they're selling, even at such a tremendous discount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)