HDMI not working on new Comcast Box

chrmer30

Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Georgia
Anyone else having this problem. Comcast said that sometimes their boxes don't work with HDMI (though they have a slot for the hook-up), and claim I need to buy component cables

I guess we need to know which comcast box you are discussing.

I can speak on the Motorola 6412 HD DVR. It will sometimes refuse to synch on HDMI, but I have worked out power up sequences that make it work. They involve cycling power on the box and TV, and selecting the guide and changing channels, especially between a HD and SD signal. After you force it to synch, the key is to never turn it off.

While it is conceptually possible, the more likely scenario is that there are in compatibilities between the DVR and your receiver or display. HDCP is sometimes a little flaky.

The response you received is indicative of the fact that service providers will provide technical support only for certain easy-to-support uses of their service. To exploit more advanced capabilities beyond those that are "do the job", you need to support yourself. You've come to the right place. For example, the advice above, if applicable to your situation, will help verify if it is an HDCP problem.

In my experience, Comcast gives up component cables but will not provide HDMI cables (because they provide technical support for component video connections, generally not for HDMI connections). Regardless, component video cables are relatively inexpensive. If they didn't come with just about every television and receiver I ever bought, I'd just go online and pick up a set for $2.45 plus shipping.

Best of luck resolving your connection.

The problem is that our box is in a nearby closet-so I need about 20ft of component cable. When we first bought our HDTV, a Comcast installer came out and said we needed to get a HDMI cable-so we did. So When a different Comcast guy came out this time, we thought we were all set. After spending some time on the phone with a Comcast rep, he just said buy some componenet cables and then hook it up yourself (to save money by not having Comcast come out again).
the box is a Motorola. I know this sounds odd, but does the TV have to be on a certain channel for the box to work (like a VCR)?

Thanks all!!!!

Chris

25 feet of component cable = $11.40 plus shipping

If HDCP is the issue, then you'll have to go through the back and forth that the PP outlined -- or buy a different HDTV. The protocol problems I've read about typically come from a too-persnickety HDMI switch (perhaps in a receiver) or too-persnickety HDMI input circuitry in the display.

If you're simply getting nothing, then yes you could have an input selection problem. HDMI is a separate input on your HDTV. If you're changing channels on your HDTV, then you don't have it set to the correct input, because there is typically no channel changing on your HDTV when you are viewing video via HDMI (or component video either). It is possible that your HDTV does it a little differently, slipping the HDMI input in before channel 2, though. What is the model number of your HDTV?

In my experience, Comcast gives up component cables but will not provide HDMI cables (because they provide technical support for component video connections, generally not for HDMI connections). Regardless, component video cables are relatively inexpensive. If they didn't come with just about every television and receiver I ever bought, I'd just go online and pick up a set for $2.45 plus shipping.

Best of luck resolving your connection.

You folks are lucky. My Comcast insists on hooking everything up with an RF connection through a chunk of coax. This includes HD boxes.

I agree with Bicker in that youneed to find the input button on your remote and try the various HDMI positions.

There are also some configuration settings on the Motorola box. Press info with the unit turned off and read the section of the manual to work your way through it.

Component cables?

If I have to go with the component cables-do I need to spend more $$$ to get better quality or do inexpensive ones work as well as the Monsters?
Thank again!!!

Hesús (yes I meant that)! Please don't buy those Monster overpriced pieces of dreck. You'll do well with many cables much cheaper than that...

If I have to go with the component cables-do I need to spend more $$$ to get better quality or do inexpensive ones work as well as the Monsters?
Thank again!!!

This is a religious issue, but I find that the only cables that tend to give problems are the ultra thin ones that either come with the unit, or that are in the cheapest blister packs. Look for a cable that looks like it was made from regular RG-6.

Actually, it is more important to make sure the component cables are all the same length. Even an inch of difference can have a noticeable effect (if you are critical). This is because the signals are time synchronized on the three cables, and a difference in length between them will affect the timing, and thus picture quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts