HDMI over CAT6

llzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
St Louis
I'm considering using my vip612 for 2 HD LCD screens. One via component and the 2nd TV in another room. I was looking at Monoprice for longer HDMI but I found this plate:
For only $15.73 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate (Pair) - Single Port (1P) - White (Rev. 1.2) | HDMI Wall Plate

and am wondering if someone has used this? Run 2 CAT5e or CAT6 cables from 612 to 2nd TV, then use short HDMI from wall plate to TV.

I do have 2 remotes for the 612, 1 is IR and 1 is UHF, I programmed it last night and the UHF does work at the remote location.

I have used cat6 to feed HD tvs.
The quality was fine and was much cheaper the the HDMI solution.
However the method I used was via component ports.

I'm doing it right now using that exact plate. How far are you going? I bought 2 100' Cat 6 cables with my wall plates, but I trimmed and crimped new ends on them after I did the drop. It's probably only 80 ' of Cat 6 and another 20 of HDMI (10 ' on each end). It has worked flawlessly for me at 1080i.

I'm doing it right now using that exact plate. How far are you going? I bought 2 100' Cat 6 cables with my wall plates, but I trimmed and crimped new ends on them after I did the drop. It's probably only 80 ' of Cat 6 and another 20 of HDMI (10 ' on each end). It has worked flawlessly for me at 1080i.

Are you using it through a surround receiver?

I was looking at Monoprice for longer HDMI but I found this plate: HDMI over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate and am wondering if someone has used this?
Interesting concept. Given that HDMI has 20 wires and RJ-45 has only 8, one wonders which wires they left off? Ah... Probably #14, since that has no connection anyhow, and the 3 "data shield" lines. I'm surprised you can do without those data shield lines, if that's what they did.

Interesting concept. Given that HDMI has 20 wires and RJ-45 has only 8, one wonders which wires they left off? Ah... Probably #14, since that has no connection anyhow, and the 3 "data shield" lines. I'm surprised you can do without those data shield lines, if that's what they did.

HDMI cable has 4 pins dedicated to ground (data shield & ground pin) + the one no connection, so only 15 wires are actually 'needed' to get the job done. Wall plates only use one ground. I am not using it through a receiver, but that should not be a problem, as the wall plates are transparent... Dish receiver sees my TV and modes just like it is straight through. Also, keep in mind that this uses 2 cables, so you have 16 wires available.

To the OP, at 30 feet, you should have absolutely no problem with even Cat 5.

Bebop, I thought of just installing a long HDMI but I didn't want to have the cable hanging out of the wall. I can get the CAT6 cable free and I can crimp the RJ45 jacks on and install the cable, so I'm only out the $18 for the plates and 2 short HDMI cables.
I'm curious to see how it'll work.

Very cool idea I was ignorant of. Thanks for posting it.

FWIW, I have two HDMI cables feeding two 2nd HD TVs from a 622 & 722. One is 25' the other 30' and both have been trouble free. Anyway, I used single pole light switches for wall plates. Just took a small file & opened 'em up a tiny bit. They look fine and I'm fussy. The end of the cable is vertical as opposed to horizontal but they look like the were made for 'em and they were something like 49 cents @ piece.

Good luck with your install.

Ed

Bebop, I thought of just installing a long HDMI but I didn't want to have the cable hanging out of the wall. I can get the CAT6 cable free and I can crimp the RJ45 jacks on and install the cable, so I'm only out the $18 for the plates and 2 short HDMI cables.
Good deal. Let us know how it works!

One major advantage of the CAT6 over the HDMI cable, is that he HDMI cable can be VERY thick. I installed the 75' HDMI cable and it has a bend radius measured in feet rather than inches :( it's a stiff HEAVY cable.

I also used the monoprice HDMI port-savers.

That being said... it does the job wonderfully well and has no problem sening 1080p to the TV.

There are HDMI wallplates as well if you don't want a cable hanging out of the wall.

I installed the CAT6 cables (A lot harder then I thought running in the attic) cut in LV wall bracket (In plaster wall!) mounted CAT6 to HDMI plate, wall mounted TV and presto, HD TV. UHF remote works great.

I installed the CAT6 cables (A lot harder then I thought running in the attic) cut in LV wall bracket (In plaster wall!) mounted CAT6 to HDMI plate, wall mounted TV and presto, HD TV. UHF remote works great.

Thanks for the update--glad it worked out for ya.:up I might've done that if I had known about it before I ran my HDMI cables. Someone else will benefit from your experience, I'm sure.

Ed

Sorry no where near as technical as you guys so paid someone to do my install. Have HD on TV1 and SD on TV2 and TV3 (though they are HD capable). My problem is the signal is terrible on TV 2 and 3 and the installer is saying it is because he is splitting the signal over coaxial and says I need a booster and all will be well. True?

I had this problem on a 625 and later on a 722, and I finally gave up and leased two 612's from Dish to feed all 3 of my HDTVs. Some people have success with the RF output of these receivers. One thing I doubt is that it's a signal strength issue (requiring an amp or "booster"). These receivers have a very powerful RF output designed for whole-house distribution, and they even come with attenuators to cut down on that hot signal.

Signal Combier

You need a device called a signal combiner that takes the output of the RF sat rec and combines it with the the RF from cable. To do this it dips the freq from the cable system and inputs the channel from the sat rec on that one channel. They used to be companies that had these boxes for sale for fairly cheap. Now I'm not sure if these are around anymore. They looks like there some still out there for some channels here's link to one on ebay for ch 4. Channel 4 Signal Combiner SC-4 TV Satellite Security - eBay (item 370286245794 end time Nov-12-09 17:24:33 PST)

Sorry no where near as technical as you guys so paid someone to do my install. Have HD on TV1 and SD on TV2 and TV3 (though they are HD capable). My problem is the signal is terrible on TV 2 and 3 and the installer is saying it is because he is splitting the signal over coaxial and says I need a booster and all will be well. True?

I have 4 HD TVs (3 different brands) and IMHO SD looks pretty much like crap on all of 'em. From a distance its acceptable but far from a good picture.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts