HDMI over CAT6?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cranked

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
So, I am going to be wiring my home theater here in the next week or so and I am in the process of getting all the materials in order. I want to put in a projector and the run from the projector to the area where the equipment will be is probably around 30 feet or so. From what I have read, 1.3b is not rated for runs of longer than 25 feet. Not only that, but the wall plates with HDMI ports are only rated for 1.3a. (This, by the way, is from reading at mycablemart.com)

So here are my questions:

1) Is it really necessary to run HDMI over CAT6 at runs longer than 25 or so feet to get 1.3b?

2) Does HDMI over CAT6 really work? And, if so, are there any HDCP issues I should be worried about?

3) After all that, do I really need to worry about wiring the room for 1.3b anyway, or is that just overkill?

Thanks in advance.

I can't answer your questions, but I am in a similar position, building a house. I've learned a lot, and the answer I keep getting is that without being able to test the specific cable and what devices will be at either end no one can make any promises for longer HDMI runs.

In the end I paid for some in-wall HDMI runs (longest is 35 ft with 22 AWG cables) but also have run CAT 6 and RG6 Coax throughout the house.

I went way over budget (13 runs of CAT 6; 12 of RG 6, plus four HDMI runs of 15-35 ft plus all the wall-plates cost a pretty penny), but I won't be able to test it until I actually move in and install new equipment. Ideally in my set-up the HDMI runs will work for now and CAT 6 (which promises promises 10GBASE-T, 10 Gb/s bandwidth) will give me some other options in the future as specifications and bandwidth requirements change.

It seems you can put aside your worries about 1.3a vs. 1.3b:
HDMI :: Resources :: FAQ

But if you want to fret there is already an HDMI 1.4 standard which promises to accept up to 4096×2160p resolution video, the upcoming 1080p24 3D hardware, as well as Ethernet over HDMI.

CDH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)