HDMI question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MDJAK

Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
First let me say I've been a directv subscriber for quite a few years and am very unhappy with their nasty customer service reps. But I digress.

I just purchased my first HDTV, the Sharp 37 inch Aquos for my bedroom.

I've owned the directv hd tivo box for over a year, had it replaced once by directv.

I just purchased a $129 hdmi monster cable which gives me an unwatchable picture.

directv hung up on me when I reported it.

Does HDMI work with this set up? Sharp says it should.

Thanks
mark

I have a sharp aquos and the hr10-250 and it works. Occasionally due to bug between the reciever and tv (only happens with aquos tvs) the screen comes up pink. All I have to do is hit ratio and it goes back to normal.

Of course you were way too vague to figure out what your problem is. Is there no picture? Is is a picture quality problem? Is it happening on both HD and SD channels. Much more info is needed.

Sorry for being vague. I was typing the post while working and had to do it quickly.

At first, the picture appeared dark, as if painted with a broad brush, sort of like a filter in photoshop.

After selecting all the different ratios available, after attempting to select all the different options available in the HDMI setup on the Aquos, the picture became purple. It could be seen, but it was unwatchable.
When you say ratio, are you speaking of ratio on the dvr or the TV? I switched between the ratios a number of times on the dvr to no avail.

Thanks for helping.
mark

I'm talking about the ratio button on the dvr remote. It will usually get rid of the pink / purple tint. Try using the HDMI to DVI cable and check out the connection using the DVI port on your TV. My Aquos has DVI and HDMI. Make sure the DVI is set to digital TV not analog PC, Digital PC or Analog TV. If you get a good picture the problem is the communication between the TV and HR10-250. If the picture is still bad then it's a bad HDMI port on the Tivo.

Do you have a DVD player or anything else that you can use to test the HDMI port on the TV?

Spin, thanks for continuing to help me.

I have a sony progressive scan dvd player hooked up via component which works fine. I'll have to take a look to see whether it has HDMI; I don't know.

I do believe I tried the ratio a number of times to no avail.

As far as HDMI to DVI, is that an adapter I need to place on the end of the HDMI cable?

Also, just to digress a moment. Perhaps I'm putting the cart before the horse. Way back when, different components were hooked up via audio and video cables. When S-video came out, I saw it as a big improvement and immediately jumped on it. When component hookup became available, I immediately began to use that.

While I realize longer cable runs are possible with HDMI, the added benefit of audio being carried as well, am I beating the proverbial dead horse for little return here?

This is after all only a 37 inch lcd screen in my bedroom, not my main home theater setup. Am I going to see a "big" difference in picture quality?

Thanks again,
mark

The quality of component and hdmi are about equal. HDMI is a tad bit better but not enough to deal with all the extra problems. The hr10-250 came with an HDMI-HDMI cable and a HDMI-DVI cable. Your aquos should have video 4 as HDMI and Video 5 as DVI if it is the same as mine. HDMI and DVI video quality is the same it just doesn't carry the audio. If DVI works ok your HDMI port works on the hr10-250.

Spin said:
The quality of component and hdmi are about equal.
I beg to differ! :eek: I totally disagree with this statement! HDMI is 100% better than component! Less artifacts, smoother picture overall better quality with HDMI!

I have a HD rpCRT and component looks better than HDMI. On the sharp the HDMI is a tad better, but not much. If you take the time to properly calibrate your settings it will look almost equal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)