HDMI questions...

NoCenterIceNoDishNetwork

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Niagara Falls,NY
I want to be able to watch the 1080p and as I've heard it only accepts HDMI cables. I have a 52' Samsung connected to a 722. If I were to buy a HDMI cable would it anyway effect the audio or quality of this crystal clear Samsung and how? And what type of HDMI cable would you recommend for my setup?

I want to be able to watch the 1080p and as I've heard it only accepts HDMI cables. I have a 52' Samsung connected to a 722. If I were to buy a HDMI cable would it anyway effect the audio or quality of this crystal clear Samsung and how? And what type of HDMI cable would you recommend for my setup?

#1. NO

#2. ANY HDMI cable from monoprice.com

JMHO

Ed

How are you connected now?

#1. NO

#2. ANY HDMI cable from monoprice.com

JMHO

Ed
I second your opinion. Monoprice is great.:up

Yeah, it will effect the picture and sound. It will make it better.

not true.

Answer is it may be the same, better or worse. A lot of TVs have different internal settings for the different inputs so you might see differences in the PQ. And a bunch of people have reported washed out colors via HDMI vs component (me being one but I was able to fix the problem in my TV service menu).

So the only one that can say there is a difference is you. :)

I should have got my HDMI cable from monoprice. I overpaid for mine at Tigerdirect. Paid over $30 for a 6" cable when I could have got the same type from monoprice for about $15.

Actually for less than $8 including shipping!

Some have reported receiving the 1080p over component cables.
I think you are talking about people being able to generically run 1080p over component, which is very possible. Being able to watch the 1080p24 VOD from Dish over component? Doubtful since HDCP is involved. You would need to connect an HD Fury to your DVR HDMI port and then run component to the tv for that to work.

not true.

Answer is it may be the same, better or worse. A lot of TVs have different internal settings for the different inputs so you might see differences in the PQ. And a bunch of people have reported washed out colors via HDMI vs component (me being one but I was able to fix the problem in my TV service menu).

So the only one that can say there is a difference is you. :)

Well, it is certainly true for me. Otherwise I wouldn't have said it. All things equal, HDMI *should* provide you with a better picture then analog component cables.

All things being equal, they should be the same. There is nothing about HDMI that makes it better than component.
That's the key - all things being equal. But they rarely are. You have different colorspaces, different subsampling specifications, and different bit levels for the pixels being represented.

If the video processor for component is better than for HDMI or vice versa, you will see a difference.

Some people have better results from HDMI
Some people have better results from Component
Some people have the same visible result from either

how do i know if i have component or HDMI? while i kow i dont have HDMI because the ports dont have a cable in them that say HDMI port 1 and HDMI port 2 neither does the receiver. But the only thing running into my tv is a power source and some Audio video cables ( like you use for your xbox)

That's the key - all things being equal. But they rarely are. You have different colorspaces, different subsampling specifications, and different bit levels for the pixels being represented.

If the video processor for component is better than for HDMI or vice versa, you will see a difference.

Some people have better results from HDMI
Some people have better results from Component
Some people have the same visible result from either

Yep, I agree with you 100%. I was just trying to get people away from the thought that "it's HDMI, so it's better".

I think you are talking about people being able to generically run 1080p over component, which is very possible. Being able to watch the 1080p24 VOD from Dish over component? Doubtful since HDCP is involved. You would need to connect an HD Fury to your DVR HDMI port and then run component to the tv for that to work.

The HD Fury is for RGB TV connection not component.

how do i know if i have component or HDMI? while i kow i dont have HDMI because the ports dont have a cable in them that say HDMI port 1 and HDMI port 2 neither does the receiver. But the only thing running into my tv is a power source and some Audio video cables ( like you use for your xbox)

HDMI
HDMI_port_big.jpg

Component
hComponentVideoJack.jpg

Composite (non-HD, low res)
composite-jack.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts