HDMI Splitter Question

56Nomad

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
I have two small LCD TVs in my RV trailer. One TV has a 25' HDMI cable running to it and the other a 4' HDMI cable. To watch one TV or the other, I've had to plug and unplug the cables (from the receiver) as I have a Dish Network receiver with one HDMI outlet. Are there any "non powered" HDMI (2 in 1 out) splitters available on Amazon that work for this application? The ones I've looked at have lots of negative reviews.

Would something like this work?

31Omaesq09L_SS500_.jpg

Why don't you feed the closest TV with component cable? No need to switch cables or splitters. You can get a 6' component cable from eBay for $4.

The problem with HDMI splitters is some devices actually utilize the two way communication. There's a "handshake" that happens. A single device (your receiver) getting a handshake from two devices (the TVs) will get "confused".

As mentioned, use component cables for one of the TVs. Don't forget you'll need to run audio separately.

As others have said, if you can't use a powered splitter use the component outs. If you have to have HDMI you will need a powered splitter.

I got a powered splitter from mono and it failed within a week or ten days. I returned it got a replacement, same result. I don't know if it was because of the unit or my equipment any way I am back to 1 HDMI cable and a componet cable.

Why don't you feed the closest TV with component cable? No need to switch cables or splitters. You can get a 6' component cable from eBay for $4.

upsss,

Great idea. I installed a hi quaility "Monster" component cable and both TV's do work. The TV with the HDMI (25' cable) has a great picture. The TV with the component cable has a diminished picture and it will not permit some of the movie channels from viewing such as HBO and Showtime :(

I would like to find an non-powered HDMI splitter with a 2 way switch that would enable one or the other HDMI to function fully depending which way you flip the switch..... either mechanically or electronically. Does anything like that exist?

Go to monoprice.com and see the many solutions they offer. Once you find something that looks good, we can tell you whether it is likely to work.

They offer both splitters and switches but most of them are necessarily going to be powered. Understanding why isn't going to change that.

Make sure you read the reviews of the candidates.

I've been using an HDMI. Splitter in my theater for a few years now with no problems - once I figured out one detail. My splitter let's me use either a projector or a small TV in the theater. I don't always want to fire up the big projector for some viewing. Initially I connected the splitter directly to my Dish DVR and connected one output to my AVR (Audio/Video Receiver) and the other output to the small TV. Initially that seemed to be working fine, but I soon noticed I no longer had Dolby Digital surround sound. The splitter converted the HDMI audio to stereo. The solution was to put the splitter after the AVR. The projector doesn't need audio and the TV only needs stereo. The only down side is I must power up the AVR to watch the little TV. that's a minor inconvienience.

The problem with HDMI splitters is some devices actually utilize the two way communication. There's a "handshake" that happens. A single device (your receiver) getting a handshake from two devices (the TVs) will get "confused".

As mentioned, use component cables for one of the TVs. Don't forget you'll need to run audio separately.

I wonder if the simple non-powered splitter would work if I unplugged the 110 v power to the TV I was not watching. It would be much easier to pull the plug on one of the TVs, than trying to swap out HDMI cables in the back of the receiver. Would that possibly work for me?

I wonder if the simple non-powered splitter would work if I unplugged the 110 v power to the TV I was not watching. It would be much easier to pull the plug on one of the TVs, than trying to swap out HDMI cables in the back of the receiver. Would that possibly work for me?
I would think it would. No guarantee though.

56Nomad said:
Wrong kind of splitter switch..... I want 1 that has one input and two outputs :(

With a mechanical switch like that it's probably just semantics. It will probably do what you want. Get one and see.