Hdmi Switch?

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I wasn't planning on spending more than $200 for a switch but if it's needed to achive the best picture I don't mind... The harmony remote compatibility is a must. Is it true that the auto switching ones don't work with dish network receivers? (because they are always on)
P.S. Go Wild!!!

I think I am going to try that MonoPrice switch and also try some of the HDMI cables on that site too. They seem to work really well according to the reviews... If the switch doesn't work with all my components than I have a couple of backups that you guys suggested. Thanks

Last edited:
I had nothing but problems with my 5x1 from Monoprice with the PS3 would not work on any port (not even port 5 like they claim), LG upconvert DVD player had colors all screwed up when hooked through switch, RCA upconvert would not work at all, just screen flicker when using switch, Philips DVD recorder with HDMI out would not work if I played a DVD, but would work if I was just watching the pass-thru video. No matter what I did, I got HDMI device errors, bad handshakes etc.

I figured it was a bad unit, but Monoprice refused to let me return/exchange it (after only 5 days of having it) and would not offer any advice other that "you must be doing something wrong, the device cannot be faulty". Yet if I took the switch out of the loop, everything worked teriffic.
My beef isn't with the switch, but with monoprice. I used to recommend them all the time, but they lost a customer when they treated me so poorly.

I ended up with the Satechi linked above and it works great.

HM-31-gallery.gif

Quoted from Nuforce website for this $99,,, 3 inputs to 1 output auto/remote HDMI switch:
The OPPO HM-31 Advanced 3x1 HDMI Switch is able to expand a single HDMI input port on your HDTV to connect up to three HDMI sources, such as DVD, Blu-ray or HD-DVD players, cable or satellite receivers, and gaming consoles.

The OPPO HM-31 is among the very few HDMI switches to pass the official HDMI 1.3 certification test. The certification ensures that the HM-31 is compatible with all HDTV resolutions up to 1080p and PC resolutions up to 1920x1200. Equipped with advanced HDMI 1.3 features such as Deep Color, higher bandwidth and a signal equalizer, the HM-31 is ready to support the latest generation of home theater products.

The HM-31 transmits rich, vibrant images and sound while maintaining the highest in video and audio quality. It is EIA/CEA-861D, DVI 1.0, and HDCP 1.1 compliant and supports DDC and HPD switching to ensure maximum device compatibility. Equipped with a remote control, this switch provides the option of resting on a table-top or mounted on a wall. Custom home theater installers will find the IR input and RS232 remote control convenient options for integration. With the worries of HDMI connectivity problems put behind by the HM-31, it’s now time to enjoy your HD entertainment, whether it’s from your favorite OPPO up-converting DVD player or any other HDMI source.

Here's a newly released very imformative review on all facets of this excellent HDMI switcher. It's a good read. :up

Oppo HM-31 Full Review — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News

And yet another published review of this swticher:

Product Review

Robin

Robin

Last edited:
I've had the ExtremeMac HDMI Switcher since August and I love it. It was going for about $81 on Amazon.com. It does the whole 1080p and it looks alot like an Apple TV unit. Great piece of hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts