Trouble Getting DVDs to Record

BratDawg

Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
I have dish 500, lcd tv and a toshiba dvd-r/rw-vcr combo.

I can play dvds fine, but can't get them to record.

Question 1 - is dish considered "cable" or "tv- vhf/uhf" - my manual tells me to set things to one or the other. No mention of satellite tv. :( Cable or Antennae?

I would suggest not hooking itm up by coax but instead using the composite or component inputs. What receiver do you have and what DVD recorder?

Question 1 - is dish considered "cable" or "tv- vhf/uhf" - my manual tells me to set things to one or the other. No mention of satellite tv. :( Cable or Antennae?

Dish is considered cable. An antenna is what pulls in OTA signals. I have both. You need to go from your rec.outputs to the DVD recorder's inputs. I have had 3 Dish rec./DVRs and all my DVD recorders "see" the Dish's signal when it's on. You're probably just missing a minor step in the setup process. Read the DVD recorder's hookups diagrams.

Just think "Out to IN" when recording from a signal source. Hope this helps.

One thing I forgot to mention. On my Sony DVD recorders, each has 3 inputs. I had to go into the settings menu and assign what type of connection each input source was getting. On all 3 sources I use the std. red,white, and yellow connectors as I don't like S Vid. pictures.

Check & see if your recorder needs to be told what you're plugging into your input jacks. Mine sees nothing if I don't click on the right connection from the Dish or other sources.

To get the best pictures and recording from the DISh signal, you should connect your DVD recorder and DISH receiver with component video (if available), S-Video, composite video, Coax (in the order of perference).

When record, select the INPUT source. It can L1, (for component, s-video, or composite) or tuner (for coax).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts