HDMI to Component adapter/cable

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
I bought my daughter a Samsung Blue Ray player for her room. It has only an HDMI output, and her older TV only has component and composite inputs. What's a decent converter or cable that isn't going to cost too much?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

A inexpensive solution like this stands a relatively small chance of working reliably. Most commercially produced Blu-ray titles demand an HDCP response that only an HDMI or DVI connection can offer.

Your best bet is to get a Blu-ray player that features component output.

Just because you can lash all the connectors together doesn't assure that you can make all the devices happy protocol-wise.

I think you'll have more joy just buying a current TV with HDMI inputs. HDCP isn't going away, it's getting more pervasive.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

And your only hope of buying a BluRay player with component outputs is finding a used one on Craigslist. The component outputs were removed by statute 2 years ago now.

It is that whole HDCP mess, and I agree with Navy that you need to just upgrade the TV.

A inexpensive solution like this stands a relatively small chance of working reliably. Most commercially produced Blu-ray titles demand an HDCP response that only an HDMI or DVI connection can offer.

Your best bet is to get a Blu-ray player that features component output.

Just because you can lash all the connectors together doesn't assure that you can make all the devices happy protocol-wise.

Get one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=KAHDRGBRL&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

It works perfectly to take in a HDMI input, and output into the Component inputs on your older tv. They are correct though that if the Blu-ray is encrypted, it won't work to pass the signal.

Let us say "copy protected" rather than "encrypted."

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You need to get an older designed player. Starting last year BD players have to be HDMI with HDCP only. You should be able to still find players with component outputs.

You need to get an older designed player. Starting last year BD players have to be HDMI with HDCP only. You should be able to still find players with component outputs.

My 2011 Sony Blu-ray player has HDMI and Component, but they downloaded a new firmware that turned the component into 480i output ONLY. So, it'll work, it just won't be high-def.

Buying a new tv with prices as low as they are is the right choice.

My 2011 Sony Blu-ray player has HDMI and Component, but they downloaded a new firmware that turned the component into 480i output ONLY. So, it'll work, it just won't be high-def.

Ouch with the downres.... The way the Blu Ray copy protection works is that new keys come out every year and if your firmware is not updated after about a year you will not be able to play new titles. Seems like they are really working to plug the analog "hole".

I would contact Sony to complain. You bought a fully functional machine and now it has been handcuffed. If the player was advertised as being able to do 1080i over component, I would think you could make an argument for false advertisement.

It is not the government. It is not the manufacturers. It is the AACS Advanced Access Content System) which was adopted by the licensing body that owns the BluRay spec. Any manufacturer that wishes to build a BluRay player needs to sign the AACS agreement (which included dates for forced downconversion and also removal of analog outputs)
Good article here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20042864-1.html
AACS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System

The ironic part is that the digital encryption has long since been cracked so pirates can steal at will. AACS only hurts legitimate users.

AACS was mandated by the MPAA -- they own the movies. This was on both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Blu-ray also has BD+, which was added at the insistence of a couple of members of the MPAA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)