HDMI to component converter recommendations

hvarma2008

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Johnston, IA
I have a optoma H31 projector, that according to spec can display high definition. It has DVI and component inputs. I have it currently hooked up using component from my Onkyo receiver. I would like to connect HDMI sources such as Chromecast or Apple TV to the receiver so I can use the projector. The receiver only takes component or composite input. Is there a converter that would work in this situation? Are there anythings I need to watch out for?

Amazon product ASIN B00JVNUAEIAmazon lists several others. This has the best ratings.

The big stumbling block with these converters is the HDCP handshake. This is used for copy protection and sometimes causes the video to either blank or downconvert to 480i. The reviews don't seem to show that for this product though.

Is that what he was asking. He mentioned connecting through a receiver which is why I answered as I did.

I'm not sure you could plug a Chromecast into a DVI cable and have it work. Might, but I've never seen it. You would at the very least need a F/F adapter,

Thanks! I have to connect it via the receiver as the projector is installed from the ceiling and I have cables running behind the dry wall from the receiver to the projector. Right now, running a HDMI->DVI cable is not a good option, but I do agree that would work better.

I'm not sure you could plug a Chromecast into a DVI cable and have it work. Might, but I've never seen it. You would at the very least need a F/F adapter,

Thats a pretty interesting question. I'll try it this weekend @ home with a projector using a hdmi/dvi cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)