HDMI to DVI

kluever

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I just got a 50" Samsung DLP (3rd gen - HLP5063W) and using Dish 811 HDTV receiver. Spent last night crawling around in my attic getting splinters. Got all the wiring done about midnight. I was told the cable to use for HDTV hook up was an HDMI to DVI. I connected it (HDMI to TV, and DVI to box) along with some RCA's for audio, picture looks excellent. The problem is - no sound. I am thinking the TV thinks it is getting sound from the HDMI, but the DVI isn't pushing any sound - and I can't get the TV to recognize the RCA's I've got connected. I think some type of setting needs to be changed in the TV. Is anybody familiar enough with the Samsung DLP's to help me out? I would really appreciate it.

I've got an older Samsung DLP, It sounds like you got the conenctions not quite right. Are you sure the samsung HDMI can take an auxilary sound input? The sound for HDMI input might be shared with another input or the pc input, cause that's how dvi is on my samsung...

I'd suggest you double check your instruction manual again. My TV's manual is very specific about which inputs you use for audio when using DVI/HDMI for video. In the case of my TV, it is shared with one of the Component inputs.

I'm not sure about the auxillary sound input on the HDMI, and the manual isn't much help at all. I will try connecting RCA's to all sound inputs on the TV to see if one works. I was also wondering if the TV had any settings (in the menus maybe) to change the sound input. Thank you for your replies. Any other suggestions?

another question I have is why the guy at the store gave me an HDMI to DVI instead of just a DMI to DMI? Is there any difference in reception between the two?

i did check the internal mute

DVI to HDMI

I'm fairly certain DVI does not pass audio -- that's the diff between connectors.

I pass the 811's DVI output to my Panny's HDMI with aux audio (RCA) to the TV. Eventually I'll pass audio via fiber to my surround amp, but that's another story.

Your manual will show where the audio goes.

Cheers,

Phil

The manual is a piece of dung. I have read it twice and it doesn't say. Ghoff mentioned trying the PC connections for audio - I'm going to give that a shot when I get home.

I tried all of the inputs and all possible connections and still no sound. I think it is possible that the TV doesn't support an auxillary sound input for HDMI. I am considering going to a DVI-DVI cable with RCA's for sound. Will I lose picture quality in that scenario?

Do you know what menu that is under? At the risk of sounding lilke a total moron, what does PCM stand for?

Use any of the 921's composite audio outputs (not inputs), along with the DVI. Are the RCA's connected to audio inputs associated with the HDMI on the TV?

mdonnely, thanks for your reply. Like your pic - A&M grad.

First, I've got an 811, not 921. My problem in a nutshell is that I don't know which, if any, audio input is associated with the HDMI on the Samsung 3rd gen DLP.

Also, if I went with a DVI to DVI cable would I lose any pic resolution from a DVI to HDMI?

kluever said:
Do you know what menu that is under? At the risk of sounding lilke a total moron, what does PCM stand for?
Pulse Code Modulation.
kluever said:
First, I've got an 811, not 921. My problem in a nutshell is that I don't know which, if any, audio input is associated with the HDMI on the Samsung 3rd gen DLP. Also, if I went with a DVI to DVI cable would I lose any pic resolution from a DVI to HDMI?
HDMI carries the audio and it would come though your TV Speakers, unless you have a PCM (or TOSLINK or COAX) back to your AV receiver. Or if your Receiver has HDMI inputs (switched) that would work too. There is not PQ loss diff between DVI and HDMI ... even with Dish equipment.

But I wouldn't get audio through HDMI plugged into my TV if the other end of the cable is plugged into DVI from the 811, right?

DVI does not send sound to the TV. I would assume that the only audio input for HDMI is through HDMI since it sends both. If you want to continue to run it DVI to HDMI you better run the audio to a receiver or else I would say you are SOL. I have the new Samsung 46" DLP and run DVI to DVI with my 811. I am also curious if there is any picture gain by running DVI to HDMI. My impression was that there was little difference in the picture sent to HDMI its main improvement over DVI is just the ability to send audio. :D

Then the million dollar question is: What auxillary audio inputs do I use with an HDMI cable on the 3rd gen Samsung DLP, if any? If there is no loss in PQ, I might just stand in the return line and get a DVI-DVI cable and move on. That would give me the option of doing a DVD player HDMI-HDMI later.