HDMI version on 722

joedoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
What version of HDMI supports the 722 box? My 1080p HDTV requires v1.3

And as an additional question, does it output 5.1 surround over HDMI as well, or does it require an optical cable as the user guide says? I just got mine and I'm going to buy an AV receiver in the future, so I'm wondering if I need to pick up that cable as well.

Your television is v1.3 compatible. That does not mean you need a device that is 1.3 for it to work. HDMI is backwards compatible. The 722 is probably not 1.3. 1.3 adds a bunch of features not necessary in these devices. See here: HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And as an additional question, does it output 5.1 surround over HDMI as well, or does it require an optical cable as the user guide says? I just got mine and I'm going to buy an AV receiver in the future, so I'm wondering if I need to pick up that cable as well.
It depends on your AVR. If it does HDMI, you only need the HDMI cable to the AVR (then to the TV). If it is not, you will need to run HDMI to the TV and optical to the AVR - both from the 722.

The manual probably means HDMI1.3a is required to view 1080p24 content, deep color, etc

1.3 is not even required to view 1080p/24 material. It is part of the 1.1 spec (maybe even 1.0). There is no programming material available with deep color (including blu-ray) anyways, so that is a gimmick, also.

S~

Last edited:
Well, the manual says it does (Samsung UN46B7100)

Where? I have the manual in front of me.

S~

N.M. It doesn't say "requires" p. 10. It says:

"The TV may not output sound and pictures may be displayed with abnormal color when DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box /
Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) supporting HDMI versions older than 1.3 are connected. When connecting an older HDMI
cable and there is no sound, connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI IN 1(DVI) jack and the audio cables to the PC/DVI
AUDIO IN jacks on the back of the TV. If this happens, contact the company that provided the DVD / Blu-ray player /
Cable Box / Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) to confirm the HDMI version, then request an upgrade."

First of all, HDMI is not upgradable. And yes, not all devices output audio over HDMI. The 722 does. It should not have any problem connecting with any HD receiver.

Last edited:
Where? I have the manual in front of me.
"The TV may not output sound and pictures may be displayed with abnormal color when DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box /
Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) supporting HDMI versions older than 1.3 are connected.

This quote along makes me to want to have HDMI v1.3 as I don't want to have "abnormal color" and I don't think Dish will do something about it if I'll contact it with this issue.

However I'll be more than happy if there won't be any issues with 722 and UN46B7100 TV set.

This quote along makes me to want to have HDMI v1.3 as I don't want to have "abnormal color" and I don't think Dish will do something about it if I'll contact it with this issue.

However I'll be more than happy if there won't be any issues with 722 and UN46B7100 TV set.

Won't happen. If Samsung can't make a TV that is compatible, then they have a serious engineering problem and you really should look elsewhere. On another note, we have a 7100 hooked up to a 622 and a Directv receiver and have absolutely no problems. I have yet to see or hear of a set top box that has HDMI 1.3 at this point in time. 1.3 is only an increase in bandwidth to accomodate deep color, HD audio bitstreaming, and a couple other things. None of them would affect the colorspace of a TV. And as I said, there is absolutely no source material available at this time utilizing deep color. It is not part of the Blu-ray specs (even though most machines are capable), but then there are no BD's with it. As I said in an earlier post, 1.0 is capable of transmitting up to 1080p and also carry PCM audio and HDMI is backwards compatible. Dish, direct, cable companies, OTA stations only broadcast up to 1080i (except) for some VOD material. I run 1.1 to my 1.3 displays perfectly fine (including 1080p/24) as do many others.

S~

Won't happen. If Samsung can't make a TV that is compatible, then they have a serious engineering problem and you really should look elsewhere.
S~

I don't think that it's Samsung's problem. It's actually Dish has a serious engineering problem and is should start supporting modern specs and technologies in timely manner. Unfortunately there is not too much choice to look elsewhere in sat TV.

Anyway thank you for clearing up my concerns.

It's actually Dish has a serious engineering problem and is should start supporting modern specs and technologies in timely manner. Unfortunately there is not too much choice to look elsewhere in sat TV.
Joe, you need to more of what you speak. That's been obvious from the start. The "serious engineering problem" statement is as misguided as you can get. Just because 1.3 technology is available, doesn't mean you have to adhere to it. There is nothing that Dish could "engineer" to make it any more capable than what a Sat box should be. 1.3 is mostly for future advancements. I'm not sure there is any ANYTHING that delivers 1.3 presently. Your lack of tech savvy is showing. So stop the Dish bashing. Read more. Ask more questions and make less assumptions.

I don't think that it's Samsung's problem. It's actually Dish has a serious engineering problem and is should start supporting modern specs and technologies in timely manner. Unfortunately there is not too much choice to look elsewhere in sat TV.

Anyway thank you for clearing up my concerns.

Why, There is nothing in broadcasting at this time that requires more than HDMI 1.0. Stations will more than likely never broacast anything more than DD5.1. Stations have a limited bandwidth to work with which is much lower than the bandwidth Blu-ray has to work with. HDMI 1.3 is backwards compatible with all previous versions of HDMI. If Dish (or any other sat or cable Co) is within the specs, how is it their problem?

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts