HDMI vs Component cables

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
Is the picture quality really much better with HDMI cables over component cables on a good HDTV

The short answer is, it depends.

The long answer is probably not, but it really depends on your TV. People have reported everything from HDMI being a better picture to component being better. Neither should be better than the other as long as you are talking about the same resolution. A lot more depends on the setup of the input (ie calibration). The best way is to just give it a shot on each and see what you like better. Head over to Monoprice HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! and buy one of each (won't cost much).

The only thing that makes a difference to me, is that working with HDMI cables is easier because it's only one cable. Otherwise, the only advantage would be if need 1080p resolution.

No, the picture quality isn't 'much' better.

On a side note, the amount of cables required for HDMI is one total (sound and video included). The # of cables for component is: 3 for video + 2 for audio (most likely) = 5.

And at monoprice.com you can get some good HDMI cables for a cheap price.

There is a difference. It depends on what you consider "better". On some sets Ive seen a slightly sharper picture on HDMI but yet a more color saturated picture on Component. I suppose both inputs could be calibrated to give nearly the same picture. Ive jumped on the HDMI bandwagon recently to get rid of seperate audio cables and big bulky component cables.

Component for me provides a more "natural" looking picture on my 50" plasma. YMMV, of course, but in the eye of this beholder, the HDMI looks a bit more sterile/flat.

The only thing that makes a difference to me, is that working with HDMI cables is easier because it's only one cable. Otherwise, the only advantage would be if need 1080p resolution.
Component cable is capable of 1080p. Im just not sure if there are any consumer level devices that use it though. Infact it was proposed to the CEA 2 years ago. http://www.hdtvinfo.eu/news/hdtv-ar...onent-video-standard-proposed-to-the-cea.html
The reason you dont see it is SONY, the AACS and the MPAA. It doesnt offer any copy protection like HDMI

Lots of consumer devices will accept a 1080p signal over component (Pioneer plasmas being the most common), but I'm not aware of any current devices that will output 1080p over component.

On a side note, the amount of cables required for HDMI is one total (sound and video included). The # of cables for component is: 3 for video + 2 for audio (most likely) = 5.

It is possible to only need 4 cable for Component. 3 vid 1 coax audio which will carry 5.1 or stereo by itself. A fiber to coax converter only cost around 10 to 15.

I tried both with my Panasonic plasma TV and I could not see any difference in the picture quality.

I ended up using the component video inputs because I could adjust the overscan to nearly zero by using the picture size and centering controls in the TV's service menu. Using the HDMI input, you have no control of the picture size at all. The overscan was not noticeable in regular viewing but some of the menus that the 622/722 displayed (like the program guide) had a bit of overscan on my screen when using the HDMI input.

On other thing to consider is Component is not capable of doing DRM. It is possible in the future Content owners force Dish/DirecTV/Cable to downrez any connections that do not carry DRM.

John

only difference i see on componant vs hdmi is picture sizing. when i was using comp i had to manually adjust my horizontal and vertical settings. and i could not get it quite perfect. with hdmi, it auto sets itself. i dont even have the option to adjust the settings when my tv is in hdmi, nor do i need to.

If you have a rear projection (CRT) television then you won't gain anything using HDMI over component. If you are using DLP, LCD, or Plasma then you might -- but the difference is likely subtle at best.

Or 3 for video and 1 for audio (fiber optic) = 4. But the 3 video are bundled together so technically it is 2 total cables.

Other advantage is built in audio which makes a single cable easier to wall fish for flat panel installs. If your using a home theater setup it doesn't matter. Major disadvantage of HDMI is the way it plugs in I have seen many cables get broken or bent and damage the ports on equipment. Especially when installers use high gauge HDMI cables(for in wall installs)and do not convert them back to more flexible low gauge cables.

Lots of consumer devices will accept a 1080p signal over component (Pioneer plasmas being the most common), but I'm not aware of any current devices that will output 1080p over component.
well thats a problem isnt it. mother *!&^#% copy protection bullcrap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts