HDMI vs Component cables

I had both component and HDMI inputs professionally calibrated on my Sammy LCD. There is NO difference in pq. As others have stated, it does matter what kind of tv you have that you MAY be able to tell a difference.

When I use component, I notice some kind of minor wavy/flickery interference in the picture that I can see when solid colors are displayed. I'm not sure where it's coming from - it could be the TV or some other component in my rack, or maybe there's a problem with the component outputs in my 722. HDMI on the same 722 does not suffer from this.

I do think that colors are more saturated/intense with component on the Dish 622/722 series, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. You can get a great, natural-looking HD picture with HDMI, and it's so much more convenient to have it all in one cable.

It is possible to only need 4 cable for Component. 3 vid 1 coax audio which will carry 5.1 or stereo by itself. A fiber to coax converter only cost around 10 to 15.
Of course, hence my comment "most likely". I'd venture to say that most use rca audio L&R cables rather than fiber/coax. Plus it costs more for the fiber. I wanted to try that setup but my HDMI setup works great and I don't have the cable.

Or 3 for video and 1 for audio (fiber optic) = 4. But the 3 video are bundled together so technically it is 2 total cables.
You can buy anything bundled together and call it one cable that way. But I was talking about connection points for cables. It's not a big deal, just nice to only have one thing to plug in instead of 5 or 4 or 2.

isn't HDMI considered digital and component analog?

Yes. I just bpuight a Yamaha a/v receiver RX-765 that outputs all signals in 1080P through the HDMI port. I am waiting on my HDMI cables that I ordered, but have it hooked up through analog component cables. I can't wait to see if the 1080P upscaling make a difference.

My entire HTC runs thru a Onkyo receiver with hdmi in and out as well as component in and out.
When I switched from one to the other, the only thing I see different is color saturation. The red tones are more prominent with the component cables.

If I had to just pick one and stick with it? it would be the HDMI. Just because it's one cable and would be easy to hide.

Like I said before I am getting ready to go all HDMI and cable management is a big reason. Go get 4 sets of component cables, a couple digital coa:mad:a better cable than opt toslink IMO) and a couple of optical toslink, a couple RG6's, 4 power cords, 4 ethernet cords and just try to hold all of them in one hand! Most of that space is the (3x4) 12 thick component wires. Now try hiding all of that behind your rack. Besides if you want the new HD audio formats you have to have HDMI.

Last edited:
Got a yama myself

Yes. I just bpuight a Yamaha a/v receiver RX-765 that outputs all signals in 1080P through the HDMI port. I am waiting on my HDMI cables that I ordered, but have it hooked up through analog component cables. I can't wait to see if the 1080P upscaling make a difference.

I recently got the big brother to your unit : The RX-V1900. Have the 722k going thru it (HDMI) and a DVD via component. Haven't tried a DVD yet to see if it looks better w/the up-conversion yet. The OTA SD sources don't really seem to be much if any better.
I enjoyed reading the article from eCoustics about the DVI/HDMI vs component. It basically proves the YMMV depending on the display. It also tells the truth about twisted pairs weakness vs coax cable and why HDMI is a compromised standard due to the wiring. It may even to some extend give a clue as to why some people are seeing "sparkles" in their picture now when before they didn't. That is they were using component and went to HDMI.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)