Thinking about switching to Dish, have hardware questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
I'm currently with Directv, and not very happy with their hardware. I've been having troubles with both my D* DVR's. I just got home from my dad's house watching them install a 722 for his new flat screen and was very impressed with the Dish hardware and setup.

I currently have 2 HDTV's so I would need a 722 (or a 922 I may decide to wait til they come out). What I'm wondering is if the 722's support multi room viewing? I would have both DVR's connected to my network and would like to be able to watch programming recorded from both TV's without having to get up and move to a different room.

the 622, 722 and 722k all can be watched in two different rooms at the same time. IN dual mode you can watch in hd in your living room in HD. In your bedroom you can watch something else in SD. You can watch the same thing in both rooms and use the PIP option to see the other tuner in SINGLE mode. Using the coax you can watch tv 1 on a cable or ota channel and tv 2 on another channel using the built in modulater. I can see tv 1 on cable channel 74 and tv 2 using cable channel 76 in my other rooms in the house when I want to watch.

I know they can be watched in two different rooms. What I'm wondering is having two 722's if I can watch material recorded on one 722 on the other 722.

I know they can be watched in two different rooms. What I'm wondering is having two 722's if I can watch material recorded on one 722 on the other 722.

Yes, but it would involve adding external hard drive service to your receiver for $39.99 . THen buy an external hard drive, attach by usb to your 722 receiver. Transfer shows to the external hard drive and move that ex. hard drive to the other receiver. Then you could watch material moved from one 722 to the other.

yes, it's a one time charge per accout.

also they are working on using your network to connect them.

I'm currently with Directv, and not very happy with their hardware. I've been having troubles with both my D* DVR's. I just got home from my dad's house watching them install a 722 for his new flat screen and was very impressed with the Dish hardware and setup.

You will love the Dish DVRs. They are the best. I understand your frustration with Directv DVRs. They are JUNK.

Yeah I was very impressed just playing around with dad's 722 a bit. Much faster and responsive than my Directv one. However, I am getting by with what I have, so I might hold out for the 922 to be released.

I didn't realize they were getting pushed back like that. I'm not sure what I'll do then. I guess I will have to explore my options a little bit now.

The 722k is the latest and greatest receiver. The 922 will be based on the same kind of receiver - of course better graphics , all new menus, channel logos etc. But if you want the best receiver that DISH has right now, the 722k is the one. Buy the ota module from DISH for 29.99 and you can hook an antenna to it and the dvr will record 2 ota and 2 sat at the same time=4 shows at a time.

What are the differences between the 722 and the 722k? OTA tuners are not important to me because there are no OTA channels in HD where I live.

The 722 has one built in ota tuner and the 722k has a ota module that allows you two ota tuners , can be bought through DISH for 29.99. IF no hd channels where you live you don't need the extra ota module. The way it works is the same; same menus, guides, functions. Different remote controls though with the new remote having more learning functions for a/v receivers. I have my 20.0 remote control controlling the a/v receiver, the blu- ray ,tv, and the sat receiver. THe 722k is the latest newest receiver and most likely has replaced the 722 in all new customer installs.

What are the differences between the 722 and the 722k? OTA tuners are not important to me because there are no OTA channels in HD where I live.

I think that the 722k has better video PQ in both SD and HD than the previous Vips, and others have noted the same thing.

I would put the HD PQ on par with Directs and the SD PQ as better that Directs.

Just got my new 722K up and running. I see NO difference in PQ from 722.

I was working from memory and a side-by-side comparison of my HR21 & new 722k.

My memory says that when I switched from Dish to Direct 1.5 years ago, the HD PQ on Direct was marginally better and certainly different. Same test today with the HR21 and the 722k shows virtually no quality difference, but a bit of difference in vividness of color.

But you and I probably are just using our eyeballs which is just very subjective.

Yeah most people that I've talked to say that the difference in PQ is so minute that you almost have to have them side by side to notice any difference. I'm thinking that I will call either Dish or Dishstore.net and get 2 722k's. Then after I am able to DIU in a year hopefully the 922 will have been out for a while and have all the bugs worked out of it.

I think that the 722k has better video PQ in both SD and HD than the previous Vips, and others have noted the same thing.

I would put the HD PQ on par with Directs and the SD PQ as better that Directs.

I saw a difference , but it all depends on you and the tv you are using I guess. PQ is subjective after all.

so the 722k and I assume the 612 - are not as slugish as the hr21's from D*? It sometimes takes 5-7 sec to switch from one line to the next (I know its not slow but it sure seems it when you are wanting to scroll through your recorded list or look at the guide...)

on a side note how bad is a 612? I don't see many people talk about them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts