HDMI vs. Componet

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
Just for background I am buying this LG 42 in. Plasma Integrated HDTV - Model 42PC5D at Sears.com I know it may not be the best but it fits what I want with my budget.
Below is a floorplan for my house. I have marked were I am mounting the unit to the wall. The circle is were I would like to put my receiver, dvd player, etc. but I would have to run a 25 foot HDMI cable if I were to do this. I have not done very much searching, but the cheapest 25 foot HDMI cable I have found is $125 Rocketfish™ - 25' In-Wall HDMI Cable - RF-G1157
You may ask why I don't put the equipment in the closet with the square, because I have already put my security system, and all of my home distribution panels in the other closet "plus its bigger". The other one directly behind is my sons. I am also working up to a home automation system so I want everything located in the same place.

So my ultimate question is while I can run a wad of coax cables for around 30 bucks, should I just bit the bullet and do HDMI?

Attachments

• Lennox-fp.gif
    Lennox-fp.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 176
Well there is my answer. Thank you sir.

Just a note to concur with haertig. I needed a 35-ft HDMI cable to run from my satellite box in the living room to my new HDTV in the bedroom. I spent less than $45 including shipping for a 35-ft HDMI cable with gold plated connectors from Monoprice.com.

John

Yep, Monoprice is great. I have bought literally dozens of cables for myself and friends/family, everyone is always amazed at the prices and quality. You will not be disappointed, they are great!

Another happy monoprice.com customer here!:) A 20' heavy duty HDMI cable was $15.xx plus shipping. I've used 'em 3 times and very satisfied. Great prices and fast shipping!:up

Ed

You'll save even more if you (can) run component. I am getting ready for a second HD set and need to span 55+'. Much cheaper, about 1/2.

You'll save even more if you (can) run component. I am getting ready for a second HD set and need to span 55+'. Much cheaper, about 1/2.
With component, you must run four or five cables and you start seeing the effects of color phasing. This doesn't happen with HDMI.

You may also screw yourself out of digital sound by not using HDMI. Optical audio cables are generally limited to under 30' (multi-strand). Coaxial digital would be better, but most satellite receivers don't offer it.

You may also screw yourself out of digital sound by not using HDMI.
You may also screw yourself out of video too, if they ever start using that DRM flag on discs. I hate HDMI as much as the next guy - poorly designed spec, not consumer friendly, overpriced - but I use it anyway because of that possible future DRM stuff. And also because HDDVD players (and I assume BluRay as well) will not upconvert SD DVDs over anything but HDMI. If I was going to the trouble to run cables through walls and/or crawlspaces, I would recommend HDMI (run lengths permitting).

I have 60 foot of component ran from my 622 to an external weatherproof box outside. I then add on 15 foot more with a patch cable and run to a projector for the pool. No video issues
yet at 720P.

And also because HDDVD players (and I assume BluRay as well) will not upconvert SD DVDs over anything but HDMI.
In watching a DVD the other day, and got a warning about limited upconverting. For some reason, my player announces that I'm not entitled to have my DVD upconverted to 1080p.

Both satellite providers are implementing flagging and it is only going to get worse.

For some reason, my player announces that I'm not entitled to have my DVD upconverted to 1080p.
While the limiting is arbitrary and not consumer friendly in the slightest, at least your player has the common decency to announce what's going on. Your player is just following the "rules", however brain-damaged those rules may be in the first place.
Both satellite providers are implementing flagging and it is only going to get worse.
I didn't know this. Does Dish's 722 downconvert content if connected via component? I have mine connected via HDMI, so I wouldn't have seen the issue. I realy don't like HDMI, but I used it exactly for these reasons (DRM crap). But I didn't know that anybody had implemented the flagged yet, other than upconverting of SD DVDs.

While the limiting is arbitrary and not consumer friendly in the slightest, at least your player has the common decency to announce what's going on. Your player is just following the "rules", however brain-damaged those rules may be in the first place.
I didn't know this. Does Dish's 722 downconvert content if connected via component? I have mine connected via HDMI, so I wouldn't have seen the issue. I realy don't like HDMI, but I used it exactly for these reasons (DRM crap). But I didn't know that anybody had implemented the flagged yet, other than upconverting of SD DVDs.

Read the thread I posted on this.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/115664-bad-news-regarding-dish-drm.html