Status
Please reply by conversation.

VewDew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Northern California
Hello,

I recently upgraded my system to the HD tivo but haven't got my phase III dish installed yet, once it is installed will my other standard definition (that is multisatellite capable) receive the HD channels and downconvert them?

I was a bit bumbed by that as well.

No HD in the bedroom with a SD tv.

Doesn't make that much sense, since Voom was able to handle it just fine. But then again, all Voom STB were HD ready to begin with, where Direct has two different STBs.

DrWho said:
I was a bit bumbed by that as well.

No HD in the bedroom with a SD tv.

Doesn't make that much sense, since Voom was able to handle it just fine. But then again, all Voom STB were HD ready to begin with, where Direct has two different STBs.
Why would anyone have put in HD tuners just so the signal can be downconverted? Makes no sense.

Yes it will work... at least with the T360. You have to use either the composite video or svideo outputs. I know because I have my T360 hooked to both my HDTV and SDTV. When you are using the SDTV you have to switch the T360 to 4:3 mode. Just remember to put the box back to 16:9 mode for HDTV.

Jerry

Your regular receivers can not and will not see any of the HD channels.

jawilljr said:
Yes it will work... at least with the T360. You have to use either the composite video or svideo outputs. I know because I have my T360 hooked to both my HDTV and SDTV. When you are using the SDTV you have to switch the T360 to 4:3 mode. Just remember to put the box back to 16:9 mode for HDTV.

Jerry
True but the question was if SD receivers receive and downconvert HD signals which they don't. ;)

I do not know about the HDTIVO, but the T360 does downconvert the HD channels nicely. WHen I watch HDTV in my bedroom using the SDTV I set it to letterbox and 4:3 mode using the preferences menu. In fact my 15 year old Hitachi 4:3 SDTV is on ESPNHD right now... no problem.

The HD Tivo does have a SVIDEO output... which leads me to believe it does downconvert also.

Jerry

Hd / Sd

jawilljr said:
I do not know about the HDTIVO, but the T360 does downconvert the HD channels nicely. WHen I watch HDTV in my bedroom using the SDTV I set it to letterbox and 4:3 mode using the preferences menu. In fact my 15 year old Hitachi 4:3 SDTV is on ESPNHD right now... no problem.

The HD Tivo does have a SVIDEO output... which leads me to believe it does downconvert also.

Jerry

You missed the point completely. The question being posed is
" Can an SD receiver pick up and d/c a HD signal"
not
" Can an HD receiver d/c to SD "

You have a TS360... good for you. It's an HD receiver which can pick up and d/c HD signal.

To answer the question, an SD receiver can not decode/ pick up the HD signal to d/c.

numb nutz2010 said:
You missed the point completely. The question being posed is
" Can an SD receiver pick up and d/c a HD signal"
not
" Can an HD receiver d/c to SD "

You have a TS360... good for you. It's an HD receiver which can pick up and d/c HD signal.

To answer the question, an SD receiver can not decode/ pick up the HD signal to d/c.

True, his SDTV will not downconvert the HD signal... but like I said he can connect the HDTIVO to his SDTV using the SVIDEO and audio outputs. He just has to change the settings in the Tivo's menu to display properly on the SDTV. IMHO that is what he wanted to hear.

Jerry

> Maybe HDNET and others should offer an SD signal.

Or maybe DirecTV should upgrade all their SD receivers with HD units. :p

Seriously, neither will happen (I doubt Mr. Cuban would allow that).

Hong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)