HDNet on Voom?

Rob Tomlin

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
I have an installation with Voom this coming week and am looking forward to seeing what Voom can do.

However, it looks like HDNet (and HDNetMovies) are missing from their lineup.

Are there any plans for Voom to add HDNet? I think it's a pretty decent channel, and would be a worthy addition.

Currently I heard very little. In the future, there might be chance for those to be added. If you have these with Dish, you might want to hold on to them until V* adds them.

I believe that I have read on AVS forums that Mark Cuban has stated that HDNet will never be on Voom. You might want to do a search over there for more info.

What does Mark Cuban have against Voom?

I don't think he can just arbitrarily say that Voom can't have HDNet, can he? I'm not sure about the legality of that.

Actually an employee of HDnet stated that Mark Cuban never said "never" but currently was not going to be in VOOM. So the "never" statement is not quite correct. As it was stated before, Mark is looking to get a contract with Cablevision and he has not done so. Until the negotiations between Cablevision/HDnet settles we won't see HDnet on VOOM as long as VOOM is part of Cablevision.

Rob...Mark can do whatever the hell he wants to do as he owns a majority of HDNet. He has ultimate say as to who can show his networks.

StevenD said:
Rob...Mark can do whatever the hell he wants to do as he owns a majority of HDNet. He has ultimate say as to who can show his networks.

Actually not quite true. HDNet is delivered via satellite. So, he has to negotiate in good faith with any provider that wants to retransmit the channels. This law is to make content providers provide the signals to all. Some channels work around it (like the philly market sports channel) by distributing the channel via fiber instead of using satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)