HDNet suing D* over package move

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I view this as more of a coward move on HDNets part. While I don't want to lose any HD channels or have to deal with tier stuff, I think they realize that they don't put out a good enough product to justify an added cost to the consumer.

I mean, for examples sake, lets say that all of ESPN's HD stations were in HDNets place, where we had to pay extra for a package that included ESPN/ESPN2HD and maybe even ESPNNewsHD. ESPN would not have a problem with it because they know the content they provide will justify an added cost to the consumer. As much as it would anger me, I would have no problem throwing down an extra $4.95 a month to get that content in HD.

I suppose you could argue that HDNet has exclusive content, but to me it seems so niche that its not worth it. Unless you're a huge fan of random MMA or programs that are HD just for the sake of HD, or the same random movies played over and over on HDNetMovies, these channels I don't think provide much to the average consumer.

Its the same reason as to why all these channel providers are up in arms over this possible a'la'carte pricing in cable, where you can choose exactly what channels you want. Would you pay for channels like E!, Lifetime, Fine Living, We, Oxygen, etc if you had the choice and potential lower cost by dumping them? No, and they know that they are only in business because they are bundled channels.

Rather than complaining about potentially losing customers, I think that the HDNets should embrace this and now step up and provide some real content that people would WANT to pay for. 2 Stations dedicated to HD service are very appealing, but if the content isn't there, who cares?

I would go for that .Why not just make it a premium option and give the discounts for the more premiums you have. Like Cinemax,Starz,HBO,Showtime,and the sports pack.

That would probably make me more likely to add a premium subscription....

Well I said when this first started that doing it would hurt HDnet and the others. Possibly kill them off. I could smell this coming. The channels in that little package are really expendable now. HDnet may lose 50% of its subs now if D* subs cancel it.
Cuban has nobody to blame but himself for this one. HD is no longer a premium and the HDNet channels will have to compete with the likes of TBS, Lifetime Movie Channels, and a zillion other HD cable favorites. VOOM blew their opportunity to mass-market their channels by offering long-term, low-cost, contracts...instead, they went the "HD is a premium" route. Good luck to HDNet and VOOM...expect to see commercial laden programming on these channels because not many people are going to pay a premium for HD content when they have 100 other HD channels chose.

I predict the next victim of the HD War will be Dish Network's $20 DishHD add-on package. To be honest, the HDNets have looked awful on E* for the past year or so.

ITA with Riffjim4069. Cuban has gotten himself in a bind. He'll lose advertising revenue if HDnet is moved to another tier yet, at the same time, he's faced with having to up his investment to increase show variety and quality to compete. Even with HDnet in it's present tier I watch less and less of it as new HD channels come on line. Will say that unless the offerings improve or D* wraps HD up in a neater package I'll probably opt out of paying the $4.99 extra for HDExtra.

A better compromise that maybe Cuban & D* could live with...

ALL existing "legacy" HD pkg customers before a certain date would be able to retain all 3 existing HD channels in their base "HD fee" as long as they do NOT change their base pkg. If they want the other 3 new "HD only" channels, or they change their base pkg, then they have to convert over to the new pkg/prices.

This is really no different than the existing TC customers, who continue to get their SAME channels, while all NEW customers have to either take Choice (with some of the TC channels missing) or have to take Choice+. (which is the same as TC+, but which is now needed to get those missing TC channels)

Last edited:
It all will come down to what the contract says. I would think D*'s lawyers would know before they decided to make this an ala carte tier whether they could do it, contractually, or not.

As far as the channels that have been showing, in large part, the same old crap for years, HDNet, HDMovies, DiscHD, Universal, etc. its time for them to put something on worth watching or STFU. I KNOW I am dropping the channels come December 15th and everyone I have talked to has the same opinion (of course, we have no local sports that are broadcast on HDNet.)

HDNet can cry all they want, but they have fleeced customers for years with their programming IMO, so if they lose most of them, BFD.

For those that wish to watch the stuff on the channels that will be in the new HD tier, belly up and pay for it, don't expect everyone else to pay for YOUR programming.

Also, as an aside, the new Smithsonian is pretty good, but they are only showing the same programs, over and over, so will not miss them either. The days are past when just because you had an HD channel you were GUARANTEED a massive audience, now their are choices.

/flame suit on

. Will say that unless the offerings improve or D* wraps HD up in a neater package I'll probably opt out of paying the $4.99 extra for HDExtra.
Maybe we won't have to pay extra,If we all Stick together! and make D* hear us loud and clear. We need some Moderators and Scotts help. They have the connections.Lets get the word out. Make it known its not just HDNet thats upset over this.

I mean, for examples sake, lets say that all of ESPN's HD stations were in HDNets place, where we had to pay extra for a package that included ESPN/ESPN2HD and maybe even ESPNNewsHD. ESPN would not have a problem with it because they know the content they provide will justify an added cost to the consumer. As much as it would anger me, I would have no problem throwing down an extra $4.95 a month to get that content in HD.

Actually ESPN has been very loud in complaining that its channels should always be included in base packages. You can find a great number of examples with ESPN fighting distributors to have their channels not part of a sports or premium package. I doubt they would give up a fight on their HD channels either.

HDNet can cry all they want, but they have fleeced customers for years with their programming IMO, so if they lose most of them, BFD.

Actually, it's difficult for HDNet to fleece anyone but distributors, since viewers don't pay them directly. The only objective way to judge people's interest in their channel is by ratings (though imperfect). If people have continued to watch HDNet at the same level in spite of the new channels, people are voting for HDNet with their eyes.

I don't have any rating data, but I am sure some resourceful person here does. It would be most informative.

The consumer loses if HDNet is moved to the new tier.

They have been paying $9.99 a month to get this channels for YEARS.

Now they are being told if they want to continue getting this channel its going to cost them $14.98 for the privilidge. So much for no price increases.

What DirecTV should do is grandfather all exising HD customers so that they get HDNet in the standard HD package, however for new customers make it part of the HD Extras package.

That would make it fair for all.

Art Mann rules. :)

The consumer loses if HDNet is moved to the new tier.

They have been paying $9.99 a month to get this channels for YEARS.

Now they are being told if they want to continue getting this channel its going to cost them $14.98 for the privilidge. So much for no price increases.

What DirecTV should do is grandfather all exising HD customers so that they get HDNet in the standard HD package, however for new customers make it part of the HD Extras package.

That would make it fair for all.

Art Mann rules. :)

I truly believe that this would spell out the end of HDNET.
With these new choices at the 9.99 rate, and ok let,s say that goes to $15 or $20 in the near future, I just don't see the attraction for the "majority" to add this HDPack for the extra $5. It was fine when it was just about all that we could get, but now, I just don't see it...unless I have greatly underestimated their viewership.

I am looking for a complete copy of this complaint.

If anyone has it please send it to me, or tell me how to access it.

Thanks!

+1 :up actually, they should do this with ALL 4 existing HD only channels ... ;)

BUT, if this happens, then the other 2 new HD only's will pitch a bitch, since so many of the grandfathered HD subs would NOT be willing to make their bills go up $5, JUST for those 2 other HD channels.

A more prudent solution might be for D* to grandfather all existing HD subs for ALL HD pak channels, at least for a period of time...

Thank you very much!

The question now is, what can SatelliteGuys members do to make an impact and help save HDNet?

This is almost like a Bait and Switch from DirecTV.

The below paragraph is why I believe Mark Cuban will win. (see the picture)

Attachments

• hdnet.jpg
    hdnet.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 195
The below paragraph is why I believe Mark Cuban will win. (see the picture)

I agree with you 100%. I meant to highlight that in my previous post. But you have to think that because it "appears" to be so blatant, that D* knows of something we don't, as we have not heard their part of the story yet, and there are always 2 sides to every argument. But on the surface so far, it simply appears to be greed if you ask me!

I still say DirecTV should grandfather everyone who currently has HDNet, or they should just raise the price of the HD package to $14.98 for everyone. (Hell its still $5 cheeper then Dish Network)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)