HDNet Wins Temporary Order Vs. DIRECTV

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
HDNet Wins Temporary Order Vs. DIRECTV

The high-def network is trying to stop DIRECTV from moving it to a more expensive programming tier.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (November 14, 2007) -- A U.S. District Court has granted HDNet's request for a temporary restraining order to prevent DIRECTV from moving it to a new programming package.

That's according to an article by Multichannel News.

HDNet and its sister network, HDNet Movies, are now available to all DIRECTV high-def owners who pay $9.99 a month.

However, on December 15, the satcaster plans to move Universal HD and the two HDNet networks to a new programming package called "DIRECTV HD Extra Pack," which will require an additional $4.99 a month.

HDNet this month filed a lawsuit against DIRECTV to block the plan, saying it would destroy the network because fewer viewers would watch it. The company, which was co-founded by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, asked the court for temporary and permanent restraining orders to stop the DIRECTV plan.

Multichannel News reports that U.S. District Court Judge Teresa Snelson agreed with HDNet that it "will probably suffer imminent and irreparable harm because of a loss of customers, irreparable damage to its goodwill, programming and business unless this temporary restraining order is entered."

The TRO runs through December 10, but the court scheduled a December 7 hearing on HDNet's request for a permanent injunction. If the permanent injunction is granted, DIRECTV would be forced to keep HDNet in its basic $9.99 HD programming package

If HDNet wins DTV needs to put 2 different other channels in there...If they can't then there may not be an HD Extra Pack in the end.

No D* just needs to raise the price of their base packages by 25 cents and stop charging extra for HD. They would probably make even more money with just a slight adjustment due to the overwhelming amount of SD viewers. If I have to subsidize the home shopping network or 50 other crap channels for housewives then why cant they subsidize my HD?

No D* just needs to raise the price of their base packages by 25 cents and stop charging extra for HD. They would probably make even more money with just a slight adjustment due to the overwhelming amount of SD viewers. If I have to subsidize the home shopping network or 50 other crap channels for housewives then why cant they subsidize my HD?

:up:up:up:up

But, this makes too much sense. :)

Home shopping channels PAY to be carried.
So in fact home shopping channels subsidize your bill currently.

Home shopping channels PAY to be carried.
So in fact home shopping channels subsidize your bill currently.
LOL you know as well as I do there are plenty of other crap channels you never watch. And we have been paying for them for years? decades? Infact Id like a discount and all of my SD turned off!

Multichannel News reports that U.S. District Court Judge Teresa Snelson agreed with HDNet that it "will probably suffer imminent and irreparable harm because of a loss of customers, irreparable damage to its goodwill, programming and business unless this temporary restraining order is entered."
So what ? Since when are the courts in the business of keeping a company alive ? This is a contractual issue, not a business viability one. Or, is it temporary so that instead of HDNet failing while the court decides if there's a contractual issue, it keeps them in the same position they are currently ?

I agree Hall...the Judge is just implementing measures to maintain the status quo until this matter can be fully litigated. Regardless of the outcome, the business model will have to change..."HD IS NO LONGER A PREMIUM SERVICE." The HDNets cannot demand $$$ for their programming when major cable networks new mainstread HD channels are charging dimes. Likewise, if I customer subscribers to TNT, TBS, CNS, etc.,...then why should pay a premium for HD version of that channel?

Verizon's FiOS TV doesn't charge any additional fees for HD programming...just rent the hardware or slide Cablecards into your digital cable ready TV, Tivo S3/Tivo HD or Sony HD DVR. Viola!

- HD is no longer a premium service
- D*/E*/Cable should no longer charge for HD services
- Programmers (like HDNet) need to find better advertises or die a painful death.

Last edited:
hd IS a premium service because there is nothing mandating hdtv broadcasting. the mandate is for DIGITAL broadcasting.
Ok, let me ask you this...if the broadcasters are sending their digital signals in HD (almost all of their primetime lineups and sports) does that mean DirecTV and Dish Network have a right to downrez and resize the transmission to their customers? By law, they do not! While HDTV is not mandated; service providers like cable and DBS cannot alter the native formatting. If it's HD, then the customer gets HD via component, DVI, and HDMI. Are you telling me that D* and E* are going to make their customers pay a $20 DishHD subscription, and whatever D* is going to charge for their HD Package, just so they can see their broadcast locals after the analog cutoff? This would make their programming packages too expensive and perhaps not competitive with cable. The simple solution is to roll the HD channels into their programming package and increase the overall cost a buck or two.

Also, why should a customer have to pay "extra" for content they are currently paying to receive (cable favorites such as TNT, TBS, Lifetime Movie Channel, etc.). Sorry, but HD is now mainstream...turn off the analog crap and provide customers with a new MPEG2/4 HD set top boxes. Again, HD is no longer a premium service with up to 150 channels coming online by the end of 2008...although cable and DBS will try to sell it that way. Thank goodness FiOS TV doesn't charge anything extra...just rent the HD receiver or buy your own box (Sony, Tivo, etc.) with cablecard.

D* and E* needs to stop Cheesedicking the customer with these "HD Package" - the $20 DishHD package is a crime IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts