On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
DirecTV's PC tuner (HDPC-20) is real!

Posted Jan 8th 2008 4:42AM by Ben Drawbaugh
Filed under: DVRs, Tuners, Satellite

We're not sure where Earl from DBSTalk got these scans, but we're so excited to get some official confirmation that this device exists, that we really don't care. The HDPC-20 is a dual tuner device that connects via USB to your PC and allows you to record and watch DirecTV programming on your computer -- and curiously includes an Ethernet port. It supports Vista Media center, but also appears to work with the regular flavor of Windows. What might be the best news is that from what we have here, there is no indication that it will have a OEM requirement like its cable equivalent. There isn't any word on price or availability, but after two years of waiting, we'll find a way to hold on for a little while longer till this thing hits the streets.

Picture of the rear and more details after the jump.

Posts tagged Breaking+news at Engadget HD

I would rather spend $200 for a dedicated DVR (HR2x) than pay around $700-$1000 for a preconfigured computer that could underperform after the first few rounds of Windows updates.

It appears the DRM will be very much a part of this solution. I understand the attraction of being able to archive shows, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Might be useful, but will be completely dependant on price for me.

$100 or so, maybe. $300 or so, probally not.

Looking at the case it bears a striking resemblance to WD World Book; anyway ..... MAKERS: please stop with USB.

Too late to stop the trend using cheap USB interface - new standard USB3 (4.7 Gbps) is coming, a lot of SW written, easy to implement, etc ...

Well the USBv3 would be better, but currently I would prefer the faster options; I get the cheap option for them however.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts