HDR Question

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
So, Rec 2020 is kinda a pipedream for display at this point but DCI/P3 seems to be a real thing that will happen. All for expanded color space.

HDR, bit confused. Not as much as to the what it is, but how displays will work it. Someone that prefers calibration like myself, what it seems some of these displays lock you out in HDR mode, plus calibrators dont really have tools to send metadata for it right now. Is this a situation where you will calibrate a display with 4k patterns, and then it will use internal tables when it gets a HDR signal to apply your non HDR settings to the HDR converted output? Or will an HDR signal not be output with any kinda accuracy even on a calibrated display? I assume you can turn HDR off...

Ok, I talked with a calibrator and there is no way to calibrate for HDR now. Sets are HDR ready but they do not allow adjustment, I guess maybe one day that might change but HDR gamma is a whole nother issue. Also not sure how folks who like a 35-40fl calibrated display will care about HDR.

I think they will be ready for DCI/P3 quickly. Maybe the players will have an option like the 3D days for HDR where you just cut it off...

Yep. From what I have read the backlight goes to max and some even go into dynamic mode once HDR is detected and I imagine the gamma gets all goofy.
I think once a standard is settled (I'm betting on Dolby Vision) things should get a little easier to deal with. From what I've read if Dolby does get more manufacturers on board, it will take more than a software update to implement. That's right. Buying another tv!

As long as they allow me an off selector on the UHD player Ill be happy LOL.

I have also read that running in HDR isnt like running your display at 100 foot lamberts vs 35, most parts of the screen would still be 35 max just certain things accented. If that is the case, maybe not so bad.

Got this at AVS:

Steve Shaw (LightSpace):

HDR is very different to running a normal display at high Nits levels.
The EOTF means the bulk of the image is at ‘normal’ 0-100 Nits levels, with just spectral highlight detail over that.

I can deal with the concept of a display every 2-3 years, right now I just want a UHD player and UHD discs!

When is your Sony getting in?
I've sold my Sony hw50 projector and looking at the new JVC projectors.
I'm using a Benq w1500 in the meantime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)