HDTV: DIRECTV Finally Gets the Picture

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Man 5 LBN's that is overkill! They are really hurting on Bandwidth they need to update things to where you do not need so many. To me this is not a good sign.. Dish has more HD still than Direct! Direct just has more locals in HD is all..

directvh20.jpg

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dtvpicture101306.htm

The satcaster's new H20 high-def receiver delivers stunning images and great sound.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (October 13, 2006) -- As a High-Definition TV owner, DIRECTV has driven me crazy. The satcaster has launched just nine national high-def channels in the last five years. And the picture quality on those channels has ranged from okay to downright poor.

DIRECTV's less than tasty HD menu has often reminded me of that old joke about two guys at a restaurant.

First guy: "The food is terrible here."
Second guy: "Yeah, and such small portions."

However, about a month ago, I purchased DIRECTV's new H20 high-def receiver (with 5LNB dish) and I have to say that I am amazed. The colors are suddenly vivid and life-like; the detail breathtaking; and the sound, yes, sounds even better.

DIRECTV's new 5LNB dish.

Last night, for example, I scanned the dial from Fox's baseball playoff game between the Mets and Cardinals to NBC's sitcom, The Office, to HDNet's Penguins-Rangers hockey match. I was so impressed with each broadcast that I wanted to watch all three at the same time.

Still in disbelief at DIRECTV's turnaround, I walked over to another high-def set (I have three) which is connected to a Comcast HD receiver. After checking out Fox and NBC via the Comcast box, I have to say that DIRECTV's picture was a little better. (Comcast does not carry HDNet.)

So, what's different with DIRECTV?

DIRECTV is using the new MPEG4 compression technology to transmit local HD signals via the H20 set-top. Industry experts say MPEG4 offers cleaner and crisper images and, judging by what I've seen, I have to agree. High-def programs on ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox have been eye-popping.

However, interestingly, the national HD channels also look remarkably better, although DIRECTV says it's not using MPEG4 to deliver those signals. (The satcaster says it will switch to MPEG4 for all high-def channels next year.)

The picture is also more consistent. In the past, DIRECTV's high-def images have been up and down. (Many high-def owners have accused the satcaster of purposely "squeezing" the HD picture at times to make room for more channels.) But I haven't noticed any significant change in the picture quality from day to day.

Over the last few years, DIRECTV's HD lineup has been the subject of much criticism on HDTV message boards. And rightfully so. The satcaster has been slow to add more high-def channels and the picture quality has been sub-par.

Concerned that some high-def viewers will flee to other services, DIRECTV has said repeatedly that 2007 will be a different story, with plenty of additional channels.

While DIRECTV still trails rival EchoStar (and most cable systems) in the total number of HD networks, the performance of the new H20 receiver lends hope that DIRECTV's HDTV future will be bright indeed.

Last edited:
If Swann has read about the compression arguments — why not mention, oh by the way, a lot of these receivers have had reliability issues?

Man, it's like reading an electronics enthusiast magazine these days:

"We were impressed with the clear sound and power of the Fujinista POS-2000 home theater receiver. Even after being forced to flee the room after the unit caught fire when we brought it with 7 dBA of THX standard peak output of 118 dBA, the clarity of the sound reverberated in our heads, as paramedics treated us for smoke inhalation. If you love clear, powerful sound and own an asbestos-coated gear rack, this could be the receiver for you."

Thankfully, there would also be three Fujinista ads — maybe one with a special fire extinguisher offer.

Man, I miss the late 90s when gear reviewers could actually say a product sucked. That's why I'm thinking about going back into the CE writing/reviewing business with my own Web site.

Swanni knew ther'd be some naysayers and critics that he actually found something good to say about D*TV. He's got a thick skin.

I happen to have had the exact same positive experiences he did (only for a longer timeframe) with my H20 - a great unit with great HD. I also now have the HR20, and have not had any real issues with it at all (although I will welcome the OTA activation).

Whats really funny (or sad, depending on how you look at it), is that some folks simply love to criticize anyone who actually has a positive experience with D*TV. It happens every single time a positive post is made - they get attacked, insulted, chastised, called names, and generally told they are nuts, blind, or stupid. Such is life....the glass is half empty on everything for some...

5 LNB's overkill? With Dish I believe you need 2 actual separate dishes to get all their HD. I'd rather have one bigger dish. ;)

And I'm floored that Swanni actually had something positive to say about DirecTV. Must be the end of the world.

bonscott87 said:
5 LNB's overkill? With Dish I believe you need 2 actual separate dishes to get all their HD. I'd rather have one bigger dish. ;).

Really, you need two dishes with them to get all the HD?

That's crap, and I'm with you, 1 big dish is better.

Only the extreme NE and southern florida need 2 dishes with dish. The rest of the lower 48 only nneds a Dish 1000, about the size of a phase III dish.

Digital Dude said:
Only the extreme NE and southern florida need 2 dishes with dish. The rest of the lower 48 only nneds a Dish 1000, about the size of a phase III dish.

I believe the Voom channels and other HD are on 129 (148?) and 65. Thus the need for a 2nd dish to get all the HD offered by Dish.

Digital Dude said:

Looking at the map at http://www.dbstalk.com/ekb/pictures/Dish1000Exclusions.jpg it looks like the Dish1000 has a few more places it can't be used like all of New England, NY, NJ, DE, and parts of Maryland and Pennsylvinia along with parts of southern Texas and GA

Even then it looks like folks in the states that should have no problems with 129 are not happy with the signal provide by the Dish1000 and use a 2nd dish dedicated for that satellite. See http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=79219 for a recent example.

Last edited:
129 is a crappy old satellite so you _do_ need a separate dish (or something larger then the Dish1000) for 129 or 61.5 to get the best signal and to avoid the dropouts. The Dish1000+ which is much bigger is a one dish solution imo.

DirecTV is going to have a scary amount of bandwidth available for HD when DirecTV X and DirecTV XI are up in 2007.

Last edited:
Man 5 LBN's that is overkill! They are really hurting on Bandwidth they need to update things to where you do not need so many. To me this is not a good sign.. Dish has more HD still than Direct! Direct just has more locals in HD is all..

directvh20.jpg

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dtvpicture101306.htm

The satcaster's new H20 high-def receiver delivers stunning images and great sound.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (October 13, 2006) -- As a High-Definition TV owner, DIRECTV has driven me crazy. The satcaster has launched just nine national high-def channels in the last five years. And the picture quality on those channels has ranged from okay to downright poor.

DIRECTV's less than tasty HD menu has often reminded me of that old joke about two guys at a restaurant.

First guy: "The food is terrible here."
Second guy: "Yeah, and such small portions."

However, about a month ago, I purchased DIRECTV's new H20 high-def receiver (with 5LNB dish) and I have to say that I am amazed. The colors are suddenly vivid and life-like; the detail breathtaking; and the sound, yes, sounds even better.

DIRECTV's new 5LNB dish.

Last night, for example, I scanned the dial from Fox's baseball playoff game between the Mets and Cardinals to NBC's sitcom, The Office, to HDNet's Penguins-Rangers hockey match. I was so impressed with each broadcast that I wanted to watch all three at the same time.

Still in disbelief at DIRECTV's turnaround, I walked over to another high-def set (I have three) which is connected to a Comcast HD receiver. After checking out Fox and NBC via the Comcast box, I have to say that DIRECTV's picture was a little better. (Comcast does not carry HDNet.)

So, what's different with DIRECTV?

DIRECTV is using the new MPEG4 compression technology to transmit local HD signals via the H20 set-top. Industry experts say MPEG4 offers cleaner and crisper images and, judging by what I've seen, I have to agree. High-def programs on ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox have been eye-popping.

However, interestingly, the national HD channels also look remarkably better, although DIRECTV says it's not using MPEG4 to deliver those signals. (The satcaster says it will switch to MPEG4 for all high-def channels next year.)

The picture is also more consistent. In the past, DIRECTV's high-def images have been up and down. (Many high-def owners have accused the satcaster of purposely "squeezing" the HD picture at times to make room for more channels.) But I haven't noticed any significant change in the picture quality from day to day.

Over the last few years, DIRECTV's HD lineup has been the subject of much criticism on HDTV message boards. And rightfully so. The satcaster has been slow to add more high-def channels and the picture quality has been sub-par.

Concerned that some high-def viewers will flee to other services, DIRECTV has said repeatedly that 2007 will be a different story, with plenty of additional channels.

While DIRECTV still trails rival EchoStar (and most cable systems) in the total number of HD networks, the performance of the new H20 receiver lends hope that DIRECTV's HDTV future will be bright indeed.

I am a Dishnetwork subscriber for my main channels and use Direct just for NFL Ticket. This season they upgraded me for free and gave me an H20 and a five LNB Dish (just had to committ to 2 more years of NFL Ticket). I thought is was my imagination at first, but it is not...the HD looks better on Direct than Dish with the new set up...I was also told that within the next month or so there will be a download of new s/w to make it an interactive receiver so I can get the full benefits of Dish Super Fan which for the second year in a row was refunded $50.00 because it doesn't work properly on the H20. If D* keeps up this pic quality and really does add 150 HD nationals I will probably switch from E* to D* so I have just one provider...Although the need to add more of the basic movie channesls and the Outdoor Channel 2HD.

I believe the Voom channels and other HD are on 129 (148?) and 65. Thus the need for a 2nd dish to get all the HD offered by Dish.

Digital dude was right. If you are certain areas it will be more difficult to pick up 129 with a single dish, though most pick it up that way. Hence they have the option of picking up 61.5 under those circumstances.

Unless your locals are put on 129 and not available on 105 (it is available on 105 in my area as well but that requires a SuperDish).

I am a Dishnetwork subscriber for my main channels and use Direct just for NFL Ticket. This season they upgraded me for free and gave me an H20 and a five LNB Dish (just had to committ to 2 more years of NFL Ticket). I thought is was my imagination at first, but it is not...the HD looks better on Direct than Dish with the new set up...I was also told that within the next month or so there will be a download of new s/w to make it an interactive receiver so I can get the full benefits of Dish Super Fan which for the second year in a row was refunded $50.00 because it doesn't work properly on the H20. If D* keeps up this pic quality and really does add 150 HD nationals I will probably switch from E* to D* so I have just one provider...Although the need to add more of the basic movie channesls and the Outdoor Channel 2HD.

You mean you can subscribe to just Sunday Ticket from Direct ? I called one time and they said you had to at least keep the minimum monthly package.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts