Hdtv Dvi

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

djjsin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
I'm wondering how crucial you guys thin a DVI input on a HDTV is. Currently, the only device that I have with an DVI output is my voom reciever. I own a Mitsubishi ws-55511 55 inch wide screen. I didn't think any thing of it not having a DVI input (since it has a firewire input), but now i'm noticing all the new models that mitsubishi makes have them. Is DVI becoming the standard digital interface, or will firewire take over. I've heard the HD DVR voom is releasing will have firewire. Should i be concerned with the lack of DVI input?

Depends on Bollywood and if they want to turn on the protection flag or not. The worst that can happen is if your set is not DVI w/HDCP capable, your component connection could possibly be downrezzed to 480p or something like that.

I prefer component cables. I find the color saturation superior. And by the time I adjusted the colors under DVI I would lose the "hint" of extra sharpness it has if any. Anyone catch that publisher of hd magazine on Vooms commercials saying that they use component cables at Voom to maintain proper color saturation?

vurbano said:
Anyone catch that publisher of hd magazine on Vooms commercials saying that they use component cables at Voom to maintain proper color saturation?
I caught that, I thought it was kind of weird, wouldn't they want to keep the signal digital all they way through? I agree with you on the component color saturation, it is much better, but for Navy NCIS I use DVI then it's not so red.

DarrellP said:
I caught that, I thought it was kind of weird, wouldn't they want to keep the signal digital all they way through? I agree with you on the component color saturation, it is much better, but for Navy NCIS I use DVI then it's not so red.
Its such a good show(NCIS) ive learned to ignore it. But the weekly posts by newbies on AVS is pretty funny "everyones red?". At first I said to myself, "hey they are in a lab and those are the lights doing it". but then they stepped outside, in broad daylight. Since they are not on Mars, I can only deduce that CBS doesnt look at what they broadcast? Strange because CSI is a joy to watch around here, possible the best PQ of any network in my book. (if your getting 18-19 mbps OTA). Some things just make you scratch your head.

I only get it at ~ 14 mbps so there are lots of breakups with fast action but it still looks damned good.

RE: Navy NCIS-- it IS a good show and in my opinion has surpassed all the CSI's. They do investigation & detective work in addition to lab work because you need more than lab work and circumstancial evidence to convict. (I really don't think anyone would really confess without their lawyer present on such flimsy circumstancial evidence that the CSI's collect.)

That being said......Navy NCSI is so red that I turn my color down by 10 just for this show to get somewhat near normal faces.

The other point is that if you have calibrated or tweaked your set for component cables and then go DVI you're going to have to start all over again as far as saturation and hue is concerned. And to properly re-calibrate you will need to be able to generate a set of color bars in HiDef.

djjsin said:
I'm wondering how crucial you guys thin a DVI input on a HDTV is. I own a Mitsubishi ws-55511 55 inch wide screen.

DarrellP described the only situation where you might get screwed over if the MPAA gets it's way.

Other than that, with your set being analog (any CRT device) the D-A conversion has to occur somewhere. Either at the STB or your CRT TV.

DarrellP said:
I only get it at ~ 14 mbps so there are lots of breakups with fast action but it still looks damned good.
Last year during the football season I was searching for the right antenna and didnt figure it all out until the regular season was over. I was having severe problems with ABC so I never got to see MNF in HD except for brief periods inbetween the multipathing. Now its all straightened out, and it figures........... ABC News NOW has just been added as a subchannel at 3.5 MBPS :( combined with another weather radar im at 14 mbps with that channel. I guess ill never get to see how good MNF can look. This really sucks. Im 30 minutes from the first MNF preseason game and the station is 1080i (dont ask I dont know why). But I think its gonna suck. LMAO

I had Mits 55511 like you i wanted DVI so bad i got Mits Diamond

I like you had a Mits 55111 and was so fed up with the trend to DVi, i went back to Ken Crane took a $2000 loss and traded it in to get a DVI Mits 65813 so i could get the DVI interface. DVI is going to be the sole output of all HD DVD players due to copyrite issues, so i figure invest in the future and get DVI. I find voom much more clear with DVI, the i image is sharper. Color saturation is a non issue because the Mitsubish has perfect color and i am able to set each individual color manually on my set, to enable the perfect color saturation. Firewire on 55111 in only MPEG 2 capable, all new codecs are moving in the direction of MPEG 4 and WIndows Media 9. Don't get me wrong i think you are ok for a year or 2 then trade it in for a MIts with DVI.

I am using component cables with my Voom stb. The component does give your more color, but the DVi does give you a little more sharpness. I ended up using my DVI connection with the DVD player since I can upscale to the native resolution of my TV.

I still don't understand why, if calibrated, the component looks better than DVI. It did on mine too, uncalibrated. I asked wilt et al. numerous times and could never get an answer on whether the STB outputs video or PC range via DVI (i.e. blacker than black).

djjsin, if you're happy with your picture otherwise, don't worry about it now. CRT is an analog device so I don't know if much is gained with DVI anyway. if you have plasma, lcd, dlp, etc. it'd be a different matter. and many people here seem to think components look better with the voom box anyway.

will some time down the road all devices require hdmi (dvi with copy protection)? yeah maybe, but everything I've seen so far still have components out, and don't expect that to change for a while. and by then you'll be ready for a new set anyway.

DVI w/HDCP is copy proteciotn.

HDMI carries higher bandwidth, as well as 480i, signals and digital audio, but still needs HDCP.

ya i'm sure if it gets to a point where everything is DVI for HD, the mitsubishi will release some sort of upgrade. i sent them a bitchy email and here's what I got in return.

DVI inputs on some other manufacturers’ HDTV monitors (TVs without integrated digital tuners) were announced this year, although those monitors have not yet reached the market. Manufacturers that have announced integrated digital televisions (TVs with built in digital tuners, MPEG-2 decoders and digital video display processors) also include IEEE 1394 connectors on these sets. Quite differently, the Mitsubishi Promise module adds more than just a digital input (IEEE1394) and an integrated digital tuner and display processor to our HD-Upgradeable TVs. The Mitsubishi Promise Module also provides HAVi system control software and a 1394 interface with NetCommand for digital products.

Two source products with DVI output have been announced for delivery later in this year, and both are satellite receivers. One of these satellite receivers also has IEEE 1394 connections, and both also have component video outputs. No cable set-top-boxes have been announced with DVI, but many are already being fielded with component video outputs.

There is no indication that DVI will become a popular industry standard as a digital connection for televisions. Because IEEE 1394 connections support home recording and networking, Mitsubishi believes that IEEE 1394 is in the best interests of consumers. DVI is designed to be a “dumb monitor” connection, and is exactly that, with digital program data flowing in one direction-toward the display. Both IEEE 1394 and component video still appear to be the industry standards.

djjsin said:
ya i'm sure if it gets to a point where everything is DVI for HD, the mitsubishi will release some sort of upgrade. i sent them a bitchy email and here's what I got in return.

No cable set-top-boxes have been announced with DVI.

Thats total BS! Mitsubishi blew it when everyone else included DVI...and they know it, but won't ever fuss up to the fact.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)