HDTV + Progressive Scan DVD Player Newb Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Hancox,
I have seen the link to the SW upgrade at AVS. Since I am not ready to purchase a new TV with DVI, the Zenith has my eye.
Kevin

Google on it and you'll see, but basically it's some randomly bad intensity information stuffed into the extra lines that are beyond the bottom of the visible portion of the screen. It makes copies alternate from too bright to too dark (and sometimes barely visible) as the recording hardware tries to compensate for the varying (but false) extremes of brightness and darkness.

KevinW-I picked the Zenith because it gave me (Don't know for a fact that the new firmware doesn't support compoent HD) BOTH DVI and Component 1080i. This is VERY important to me because my HDTV, like most only has one DVI-HDCP input. If I put my HD receiver for TV on DVI then I didn't want to have to spend $200+ on a DVI-HDCP switchbox to run both the DVD player and the HDTV receiver on one input. (I use DVI for HDTV receiver and Component for Zenith HD DVD player.) This DVD player was the best overall rated DVD player that fit that description. I did a boat load of research before I got it, (As I do with anything). I have the original firmware, and DO NOT plan on updating it. They can't force me to update, plus there is nothing wrong with the orginal firmware, so I will keeping it. If in fact, you can't up-convert by component anymore then I would suguest you look for someone on one of the forums or locally or on e-bay selling an orginal and you will be all set. Just don't be surprised if a used one (With version 1 firmware) costs more then a new one-you will know why. It is a great DVD player, and its something to keep around without needing any updating. get it while you can!

Ah, but there is a catch (as always). The "old firmware" that allows upconversion on component has a noticeable white crush on DVI. The "new firmware" only allows 480p on component, but fixes the white crush on DVI.

hancox said:
Ah, but there is a catch (as always). The "old firmware" that allows upconversion on component has a noticeable white crush on DVI. The "new firmware" only allows 480p on component, but fixes the white crush on DVI.
Which would be OK if ypou were only using the component outs.. :) Early Adapter...No DVI

I don't experience any white crush on DVI, so I not in need of a firmware update. Some players had this problem, some didn't. I guess I got lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)