Hearst Television Inc. blacks out DISH customers in 26 markets

OK, I've just skimmed through here real fast; but I thought I had a magic bullet when I got the OTA dongle for my H3 a few weeks ago, plugged it in, and presto I have OTA channels!
Set a few manual timers for my missing/blocked channel; but it took me a few days before I could watch them, go to DVR, click blocked shows, and just get loading, loading. Nothing! Darn blast it Dish!!!!

As someone suggested, pressing play while on that tile starts the latest show; but I found going to the dish anywhere app, I could get the whole list to appear, and then play on TV! Yay!

I also noticed today that my OTA channel has show names again, not removed by dish anymore; so hopefully that will help.

So where does that guide data come from? OTA or Dish? As I also have (and had) guide data for some of the sub channels (blocked or not) but not all.

So sorry if a repeat; just giving my observations

OK, I've just skimmed through here real fast; but I thought I had a magic bullet when I got the OTA dongle for my H3 a few weeks ago, plugged it in, and presto I have OTA channels!
Set a few manual timers for my missing/blocked channel; but it took me a few days before I could watch them, go to DVR, click blocked shows, and just get loading, loading. Nothing! Darn blast it Dish!!!!

As someone suggested, pressing play while on that tile starts the latest show; but I found going to the dish anywhere app, I could get the whole list to appear, and then play on TV! Yay!

I also noticed today that my OTA channel has show names again, not removed by dish anymore; so hopefully that will help.

So where does that guide data come from? OTA or Dish? As I also have (and had) guide data for some of the sub channels (blocked or not) but not all.

So sorry if a repeat; just giving my observations

It's Rovi not OTA data. And I have to think DISH has to pay for it when they are not broadcasting the station. In the past DISH did not, but this would be the second time it appears they are.

Reactions: TheKrell
It's Rovi not OTA data. And I have to think DISH has to pay for it when they are not broadcasting the station. In the past DISH did not, but this would be the second time it appears they are.
I wonder if stations have to ask Rovi to withhold the data from Dish. Presumably Dish pays Rovi for the data, so I don't know if the station even has a say so. *IF* Dish just pays Rovi and the stations have no say, then it is/was Dish's decision to not to send guide data for OTA viewers.

Last edited:
Sam, it has always been Dish's decision not to, simply because there is a cost involved. With the channels down and expected to be down for the long haul, it's easier for Dish to make OTA through the DVR easier.

Sam, it has always been Dish's decision not to, simply because there is a cost involved. With the channels down and expected to be down for the long haul, it's easier for Dish to make OTA through the DVR easier.
Sorry, I'm not following the logic. I get there's a cost involved. But it makes sense to Dish that if the blackout is going to last a short time, pull down the guide data, but if it's going to last a long time, put the guide data back up? Do I understand that correctly?

DISH needs to push the timing of these shutdowns until SUMMER when most are not watching TV. Hearst is losing a ton of MONEY
Dish tried that before. Guess what happens. The station owners agree to a three-month extension, then when that extension expires, the channels still get pulled at the start of the fall television season.

What about my second question? How do you "pull half the programming from Dish and put that half on Direct"? Even if you go to lower packages with each service, you'll have a lot of duplication in channels and a lot of channels that are not subscribed on either service.
I am not the one who originally posted about having both services. I was just putting my two cents in about the price I pay for both services, and I listed the packages I have with each one. I don't know how chipmaster did it, but I would like to find out, just like chipmaster would probably like to find out how I got Directv for free. ;)

and two boxes for each TV to pay for.
I only have one receiver on each account. No additional receiver fees or DVR fees, either.

Sorry, I'm not following the logic. I get there's a cost involved. But it makes sense to Dish that if the blackout is going to last a short time, pull down the guide data, but if it's going to last a long time, put the guide data back up? Do I understand that correctly?

If DISH used PSIP there would not be this problem and for whatever reason DISH doesn't want to use it. Perhaps it costs money to have that feature part of the tuner and DISH feels they are already paying for the guide data.
My thinking is the guide data is part of the agreement with the locals for OTA, which is the same guide data that DISH uses for the Sat channels. When the locals heartlessly yank the signal from DISH and it's viewers (Ok a little dramatic effect) the guide data goes for the Sat channels which means it isn't available for the OTA channels. For expected short disputes DISH may thinking it isn't worth paying the money and having the guide for each channel in the dispute. But if they think it will last awhile, they can make it much easier for those with OTA access, and it makes it that much less a factor having the locals involved off being in the favor of the locals. I believe this is the only the second time they have done it. That and separating out the locals seems like DISH is playing hard(er) ball with them.

I was calling him out on it as it appears that it was a troll post with no basis in reality.
Seriously, though, Welcome Pack (on Dish) and Family (on Directv) does provide a good mix of channels without too much overlap, especially if you "move" at least one account to get different locals. I used to do that, but the price lock on Flex Pack, plus the retention offer Directv gave me on Select was just too good of a deal to pass up. I do agree that there is a lot of overlap with those packages, though.

Well, he said he had Everything Pack on Dish, and moved half of the channels from Dish to Direct. Some magic trick.

Well, he said he had Everything Pack on Dish, and moved half of the channels from Dish to Direct. Some magic trick.
Maybe he dropped all of the premium movie channels from Dish, and only gets those from Directv instead. Dish is usually more generous with the free premium movie package deals, though. So, it could also be Welcome Pack plus as many free premium movie packages as possible, with a higher basic package on Directv.

If DISH used PSIP there would not be this problem and for whatever reason DISH doesn't want to use it. Perhaps it costs money to have that feature part of the tuner and DISH feels they are already paying for the guide data.
My thinking is the guide data is part of the agreement with the locals for OTA, which is the same guide data that DISH uses for the Sat channels. When the locals heartlessly yank the signal from DISH and it's viewers (Ok a little dramatic effect) the guide data goes for the Sat channels which means it isn't available for the OTA channels. For expected short disputes DISH may thinking it isn't worth paying the money and having the guide for each channel in the dispute. But if they think it will last awhile, they can make it much easier for those with OTA access, and it makes it that much less a factor having the locals involved off being in the favor of the locals. I believe this is the only the second time they have done it. That and separating out the locals seems like DISH is playing hard(er) ball with them.
I'll admit, I laughed at your "heartlessly". :D
I find it hard to believe it costs money to use PSIP guide data simply because EVERY TV manufacturer includes it on their tuners. It doesn't matter if you buy the TV in California and move it to Florida, the PSIP guide data will follow whatever channel you tune in. So where does the money go?
Question two... so you think Dish is paying money to Rovi, the locals, or both to use the Rovi delivered guide? If they're paying the locals, I can understand (sort of) pulling the guide data down. If they're paying Rovi, I don't follow. That's what I was asking... do the locals tell Rovi "don't sell the data to Dish"? Can they? Even assuming they're paying Rovi, how much money are they saving but not utilizing the Rovi guide for a week?

I'll admit, I laughed at your "heartlessly". :D
I find it hard to believe it costs money to use PSIP guide data simply because EVERY TV manufacturer includes it on their tuners. It doesn't matter if you buy the TV in California and move it to Florida, the PSIP guide data will follow whatever channel you tune in. So where does the money go?
Question two... so you think Dish is paying money to Rovi, the locals, or both to use the Rovi delivered guide? If they're paying the locals, I can understand (sort of) pulling the guide data down. If they're paying Rovi, I don't follow. That's what I was asking... do the locals tell Rovi "don't sell the data to Dish"? Can they? Even assuming they're paying Rovi, how much money are they saving but not utilizing the Rovi guide for a week?

Not so much paying the locals as it is part of the carriage contract. No contract no guide for Sat channels which means no guide for OTA. Maybe DISH does not pay Rovi (or Gracenote) for the locals guide data? Also not that it costs money to use PSIP, but to have the tuner have that capability. As an example, our cheap 32" TV in one room has the PSIP guide of course but a few days worth. Our new 4K Samsung has about a week's worth, with other guide features the small one does not. It likely saves money not including the more advanced chip or whatever makes the data work.

Maybe they are restricted from PSIP data as part of being a pay tv provider comes with some restrictions. Similar to how you can use a slingbox with zero restrictions, but the sling adapter and Sling Enabled boxes have channel restrictions.

I wonder just how many customers use OTA locals? I think by DISH giving us the OTA guide there will be less pressure from customers that have OTA locals. I personally don't care if I lose the Satellite locals for an extended time as long as i have the OTA guide.

I wonder just how many customers use OTA locals? I think by DISH giving us the OTA guide there will be less pressure from customers that have OTA locals. I personally don't care if I lose the Satellite locals for an extended time as long as i have the OTA guide.

But that's part of Dish's bargaing power, if you can get OTA free, with guide data, then they have no power over you/TV provider.

Yeah, the satellite providers should go out of their way to include the best OTA capabilities in their receivers in order to have more leverage in these disputes. If I ran Dish OTA capability would be included in every Hopper and I'd figure out how to have superb guide data and perhaps even an OTA PTAT. While many people can't get OTA ( we can't get all the OTA channels and have to move the antenna when we change channels) it would remove the blackout blackmail for many.

Btw - where to get an OTA dongle for my Hopper 3?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)