Hearst Television Inc. blacks out DISH customers in 26 markets

And MVPDs make money by having subscribers. THEIR subscriber base is dependent on what channels they carry. If Dish said "we are not going to carry locals anymore", they would lose subscribers (and therefore money).

Did Dish pay for transmitters, studio camera, video servers, live trucks, and the spectrum? NO. And yes, the locals paid for the spectrum.
The locals didn't pay a nickle for the spectrum. They made a deal not to charge local customers for the broadcast in return for advertising revenue and the virtual monopoly on broadcasting in the early days. Most big cities only had 3 or 4 channels.

Based on Sam's perspective, the inventors of the world wide web need to demand agreements of ever increasing proportions to Comcast, Verizon, and the rest for charging customers for access to the product that they created...and gave away for free.

Seriously Sam. Think it through. The providers gave them greater range to be seen, which in turn increased advertisement revenue. Before satellite and cable, local UHF stations from Boston couldn't be seen in the middle of New Hampshire or Vermont. That brings in advertisers from those areas. Not many, but some. It also gets current advertisers to be seen more, so they invest more. Stop with this "it was unfair" notion. Dish doesn't pay for Hearst's equipment, but they pay for the equipment to carry Hearst's signal to a wider audience. It's the same as the mob and the government. Hearst wants cut, because they can get a cut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using the SatelliteGuys app!

The locals didn't pay a nickle for the spectrum. They made a deal not to charge local customers for the broadcast in return for advertising revenue and the virtual monopoly on broadcasting in the early days. Most big cities only had 3 or 4 channels.
200 years ago, land was free to anyone who claimed it. Did you get your (general you) house for free, or did you pay someone for it? Unless there are some original spectrum owners around (which I doubt), current owners DID pay for the spectrum.

Based on Sam's perspective, the inventors of the world wide web need to demand agreements of ever increasing proportions to Comcast, Verizon, and the rest for charging customers for access to the product that they created...and gave away for free.

Seriously Sam. Think it through. The providers gave them greater range to be seen, which in turn increased advertisement revenue. Before satellite and cable, local UHF stations from Boston couldn't be seen in the middle of New Hampshire or Vermont. That brings in advertisers from those areas. Not many, but some. It also gets current advertisers to be seen more, so they invest more. Stop with this "it was unfair" notion. Dish doesn't pay for Hearst's equipment, but they pay for the equipment to carry Hearst's signal to a wider audience. It's the same as the mob and the government. Hearst wants cut, because they can get a cut.

1) I never said MVPDs don't increase the range of the signal. In fact, I readily admit it. HOWEVER, most people don't NEED the MVPD to provide the signal. They do so for convienance.
2) Please find in one of my many posts on this subject where I claimed "it was unfair". I'm not even sure what "it" you're referring to.
3) My feeling (and my past posts will support this) is local broadcasters are making a product. They get to decide who gets that product for free and who gets to pay. I agree the charge can be too much. With the exception of guesses, we don't know how much is being asked for.

Compare it to ticket scalping. If Lady Gaga gave away free tickets to a concert, are the people who receive those tickets legally allowed to sell them (I'm not saying it doesn't happen).

Reactions: jamesjimcie
200 years ago, land was free to anyone who claimed it. Did you get your (general you) house for free, or did you pay someone for it? Unless there are some original spectrum owners around (which I doubt), current owners DID pay for the spectrum.

1) I never said MVPDs don't increase the range of the signal. In fact, I readily admit it. HOWEVER, most people don't NEED the MVPD to provide the signal. They do so for convienance.
2) Please find in one of my many posts on this subject where I claimed "it was unfair". I'm not even sure what "it" you're referring to.
3) My feeling (and my past posts will support this) is local broadcasters are making a product. They get to decide who gets that product for free and who gets to pay. I agree the charge can be too much. With the exception of guesses, we don't know how much is being asked for.

Compare it to ticket scalping. If Lady Gaga gave away free tickets to a concert, are the people who receive those tickets legally allowed to sell them (I'm not saying it doesn't happen).

I wouldn't pay 2 wooden nickels to see Lady Gaga

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

First, Lady Gaga? Eeeewwwwww. Second, yes. Quite frankly, it's ridiculous that people can't resell an item, if they aren't trying to jack up the rate. I have season hockey tickets and sell them regularly. I don't jack up the price, but I do charge the face value of the seats. Why should I have to eat the cost if I can't make the game. But, that doesn't compare to retransmission. Where does Dish or any other provider scalp the signal if it's free? The only reason they charge for locals is because the locals charge them to be carried.

The only reason they charge for locals is because the locals charge them to be carried.

The only reason they charge as much as they do for locals is because the locals charge them so much to be carried. There, fixed. ;)

ROFL. If you honestly believe that, I have a bridge to sell you (and yes, I let people use it for free) :)
Roll, walk, waddle, stride on, across, or whatever the floor for all I care. Go back to the origins, in the late 70s and into the 80s, before all these retransmission fees. What were we all paying for? The old TCI was charging me for locals...or the nets such as ESPN, USA Network, and such forth, along with equipment/service fees, all with the locals bundled in. And, what were they giving concerning locals? Could it be...ummmm...oh that's right, locals in clear reception regardless of whether conditions, barring the lines didn't go down. Prices went up significantly due to the forced over satuation of boring cable nets, and the ridiculous retransmission agreements for local sports programming. With locals, it's a cost that is unwarranted...in my opinion.

The locals moaned down every Avenue whenever it concerned them getting their bottom dollar. When WTBS, WGN, and the rest of the superstitions went on cable and satellite across the country and eventually the continent, locals went whining about broadcast rights for syndicated shows, because it was hurting ad revenue. Programming got blacked out. At the same time they cried about retransmission fees. That's what pays for their valuable programming. Which is it? Sounds to me like it's whatever suits their fancy for the moment. Stop giving your content away for free, or stop complaining.

I have a hanky. Can you pass it on to Hearst? That's the only amount of something that I'm going to give to their plight.

Last edited:
Roll, walk, waddle, stride on, across, or whatever the floor for all I care. Go back to the origins, in the late 70s and into the 80s, before all these retransmission fees. What were we all paying for? The old TCI was charging me for locals...or the nets such as ESPN, USA Network, and such forth, along with equipment/service fees, all with the locals bundled in. And, what were they giving concerning locals? Could it be...ummmm...oh that's right, locals in clear reception regardless of whether conditions, barring the lines didn't go down. Prices went up significantly due to the forced over satuation of boring cable nets, and the ridiculous retransmission agreements for local sports programming. With locals, it's a cost that is unwarranted...in my opinion.

The locals moaned down every Avenue whenever it concerned them getting their bottom dollar. When WTBS, WGN, and the rest of the superstitions went on cable and satellite across the country and eventually the continent, locals went whining about broadcast rights for syndicated shows, because it was hurting ad revenue. Programming got blacked out. At the same time they cried about retransmission fees. That's what pays for their valuable programming. Which is it? Sounds to me like it's whatever suits their fancy for the moment. Stop giving your content away for free, or stop complaining.

I have a hanky. Can you pass it on to Hearst? That's the only amount of something that I'm going to give to their plight.

Ok, stop holding back, how do you really feel about it? :hiding

OK, I don't know what you're even talking about any more. I hope this board is providing a catharsis for you, because that's all this bitching and moaning is good for. Bottom line, the rules allow locals to get retransmission money. Don't like it? Talk to your congressmen. "Oh, the NAB has too big of a lobby." Now who's whining about things not being "fair"?

Reactions: jamesjimcie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)