Hearst Television Inc. blacks out DISH customers in 26 markets

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Greed! Greed!! Greed!!!. Double and triple dipping! They make money from advertising first during live broadcast. Then they turn around and charge DISH and us for watching them, and then they insert new advertisements when we use their streaming apps which by they way you can't use without a DISH sign in! And these are supposed to be "free to air" channels. In other countries such as India, you cannot charge cable companies for Free To Air channels and the cable companies cannot charge you for that either ( although they fudge the last part sometimes as you can imagine!).
ESPN, History, AMC, etc, etc, etc also show ads, also charge Dish, and also put advertisements in their aps (that you need an MVPD subscription to view). You are free to put up an antenna and pull in the locals. There's a minority that can't receive OTA broadcasts (and I'm fine with them not getting charged to receive them via MVPD). MOST can, but would rather have the convenience of viewing them via their MVPD.

a question i always ask when these come up

do the stations reimburse advertisers for loss of viewership?
Depends on how the contract was written and what the ratings for that show are. Funny how now we're out of ratings period (I"m sure Hearst has some metered markets, but not all of them).

Dish could drop all locals tomorrow and I could care less. Because of ridiculous "market" rules my so-called "locals" are in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre market, which has nothing to do with where I live. I put up an antenna and get the Philadelphia stations. Those are my real locals. Congress and the FCC need to do a complete rewrite of the rules for locals, not just the blackout concerns. IMHO the FCC never should have allowed retransmission fees to begin with. Retransmission (functioning as a repeater) is creating an extended market and broadcasters want to get paid for that? If anything they should be the ones paying. Some Philadelphia stations have put up repeaters to extend their coverage. Did the company putting up the repeaters pay for it? No, the broadcasters did. The broadcasters are paying to extend their coverage so why is the opposite happening with retransmitters like Dish? It makes no sense and never has.

Dish could drop all locals tomorrow and I could care less. Because of ridiculous "market" rules my so-called "locals" are in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre market, which has nothing to do with where I live. I put up an antenna and get the Philadelphia stations. Those are my real locals. Congress and the FCC need to do a complete rewrite of the rules for locals, not just the blackout concerns. IMHO the FCC never should have allowed retransmission fees to begin with. Retransmission (functioning as a repeater) is creating an extended market and broadcasters want to get paid for that? If anything they should be the ones paying. Some Philadelphia stations have put up repeaters to extend their coverage. Did the company putting up the repeaters pay for it? No, the broadcasters did. The broadcasters are paying to extend their coverage so why is the opposite happening with retransmitters like Dish? It makes no sense and never has.
IMO, it's because MVPDs are doing more than acting like a repeater. MOST viewers can get OTA. So MVPDs aren't needed to reach them.

Hearst and others like them attempt to buy up as many stations as they can so as to increase their leverage in retransmission negotiations and squeeze out as much money as they can.
The solution would be for Dish (and others) to pass these local station charges directly to the subscriber and let the subscriber opt out if they choose. In this manner, Dish and the other retransmitters would no longer be the bad guys, that distinction then being properly placed on the broadcasters.
Subscribers can do without, pay the going rate or put up an antenna, their choice.

Hearst and others like them attempt to buy up as many stations as they can so as to increase their leverage in retransmission negotiations and squeeze out as much money as they can.
The solution would be for Dish (and others) to pass these local station charges directly to the subscriber and let the subscriber opt out if they choose. In this manner, Dish and the other retransmitters would no longer be the bad guys, that distinction then being properly placed on the broadcasters.
Subscribers can do without, pay the going rate or put up an antenna, their choice.

I totally agree with this 100%. The solution isn't to scream at Congress. They haven't done anything in years. Let free market forces work it out. Pass the costs along to the consumer and once people cancel their locals and reject those charges, the local nets will back down.

Reactions: pattykay
Local TV is not worth what it use to be with so much of it (including local news) for free on the Internet. I think these stations need to find a better business model.
Local TV stations, and the companies that own them, still bask in the bliss of protectionist federal legislation. Which means they can offer crappy signal, vapid public affairs and preempt network affiliate programming at will without any retribution at all -- unless local advertisers abandon them. Congress should abolish the protection that may have made sense when we watched four channels on a 12-inch black-and-white set in our living rooms (well, I'm old enough to have done it, anyway :) ) but is totally obsolete now.

Reactions: TheKrell
I totally agree with this 100%. The solution isn't to scream at Congress. They haven't done anything in years. Let free market forces work it out. Pass the costs along to the consumer and once people cancel their locals and reject those charges, the local nets will back down.

The issue is that the "free market" has gotten us to where we are today. Also, the whole broadcast and MVPD market is predicated on using public resources, so 100% unregulated is not possible

Local stations built their businesses on public airwaves that are owned by the public. Their licenses are just leases on the broadcast frequencies they occupy. The rules they operate under presume that we give them access (for free, or very cheap) to the airwaves and they in turn can make a profit but also have to act in the public interest. This isn't like Walmart where they own the land, the building, the trucks, and the products inside and are free 100% to do whatever they want.

Also, they have monopolies on their content. No one else can provide NBC or CBS or ABC content in a given market except the one local station for that network. Monopolies are not free and open markets. I promise you, if MVPDs were free to import locals from another market, we would never see another major network blackout on any MVPD ever again.

Reactions: osu1991