Heat affecting LNB

IT Guy

Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Sandy, UT
Long time lurker but first poster.

About 15+ years ago I had a standard definition Dishnetwork box. During the hottest days (100+ degrees) I would once in awhile loose the signal. I found the squirting the LNB with the cool water from the hose would almost immediately fix the problem. In 2008 I got 2 HD DVRs and a new LNB. Never had an issue again. Last year I got a Hopper 3/Joey with once again a new LNB. This past couple of weeks with the extreme heat we are having the TV will say the signal is lost and it's switching to standard definition. I've reset/rebooted the Hopper and Joey with no success. Remembering what happened over 10 years ago I went outside and hosed down the LNB from the garden hose. This immediately fixed the signal. I've done this maybe 6 times in the last 2 weeks and it fixes it every time. I've now invested in a 75" 4K TV, Home theater audio receiver & speakers, Netflix upgrade to 4K, and of course my current Hopper 3. I need a good signal. I have no obstructions to the sky.

Is this a support call on the LNB or is there anything I can try on my end. My dish is very accessible and I have no trouble working on it. I've made sure all the connections are tight and in good condition using RG-6/quad shielded cable with commercial compression fittings.

Thanks.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You most likely have LNB drift, and you need a new LNB. (LNB drift is a shift in the oscillator frequency, which prevents the LNB from tuning properly to a transponder). Dish receivers can compensate for a certain amount of LNB drift, but when the drift gets too high, the receiver won't be able to adjust, and you will see the problem that you are having now.

I had the same thing happen to me a long time ago. In the middle of the day, when it was hot, the TV would cut out, then it would return again at night when things cooled off. When I had that probem, I went into the diagnostics (where it shows the signal strength), and it said 'LNB drift detected' right on the screen. I am not sure if that message is still displayed with the new software.

If you’re anywhere near AZ, it was happening to me and many others according to a Facebook over the last week.

We've been having a heat wave here in Western WA the past 10 or so days and have gotten short-term complete or partial signal loss messages during the heat of the day lasting usually no more than 3-5 minutes and only happening once or twice a day (if even that often). My LNBs are probably 8-10 years old. Do I just call or chat with Dish to get them replaced?

Thanks everyone. This makes me feel better having others in the same situation. I remember calling dish years ago and they said no way heat would affect it. I'll try to see if the status shows a drift number. I'll make a service call to either have a tech look at it or just send me one that I can swap out myself.

The Germans had a nice video where they supercharged the lnb by cooling it with canned air. They said that peltier cooling would boost reception.

It's about signal / noise ratio. You can either increase the signal (bigger antenna) or reduce the noise or heat (noise will be less than 1) to get better reception.

So those hot days are increasing noise.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Since the heat wave broke 5 days ago, the issue went away with it...interesting. Another heat wave coming starting on Sunday, so I'll be watching to see if the problem returns during the upcoming heat.

What do you consider a heat wave? It gets between 95F and 100F every day during July and August here and I've seen no signal deterioration.

What do you consider a heat wave? It gets between 95F and 100F every day during July and August here and I've seen no signal deterioration.
In this part of the country, when we get upper 80s to low-mid 90s, it's considered a heat wave. Typical highs here, in the summer, are around the mid 70s. In the fall and winter and most of the spring, typical highs are in the 40s to low 60s range. So the LNBs I have aren't exposed to 80s and 90s but for maybe 3 months of the year.

While working for Nestle, I visited a factory in Casa Grande, Arizona. Everyone said that I would feel ok because "It is a dry heat". I got in my rental car and got a nasty burn on my arm from the steering wheel. Of course everyone told me " You reach in gingerly and start the car with the air conditioning on. You then wait 5-10 minutes before entering the car".
So dry heat can still cause problems.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts