Helix on Syfy

I set up Helix to record on my DVR for its premiere on Jan. 10th & I discovered that they are combining 2 episodes for a 90min. run at 10 pm(repeating at 11:30pm),then they are separating the 2 episodes for,I believe,the 1am(pilot) & the 2am(I believe the episode,without looking it up,is called "Vortex") hours. The only way I can see the 90 min. combined episodes work,would be if they didn't show any commercials,then slam the repeat episodes with commercials. Again,the reason I noticed this is because my DVR picked up the 90 min. episode & the then separated episodes as first run episodes.

I'll be recording the show but as with most things on Syfy I will let it age on the hard drive until a season 2 announcement is made.

I set a timer, the premise looks interesting. I gather a bio-engineered weapon, cure, accident, etc. gets lose and all sorts of interesting things happens. It has a very promising group of people working on it, so it will probably be great and SyFy will decide it is too expensive and cancel it for another ghost busters night vision show.

The episode numbers were out of order on my 612,it lists episode 3 for 10pm,then episode 1 and 2 later tonight and again tomorrow.Hopefully my timers will get them sorted out in order.

I think the guide data is wrong. The premier is supposed to be a double episode. I'm guessing episode 3 is actually 1 & 2 combined. My 722 also wants to record all three.

Dish Network quite frequently has messed up episode numbers listed in the guide for nearly all shows. I learned a long time ago to ignore them, or verify the description with IMDB.com, or the likes of that.

They combined episode 1 & 2 together at 10pm with a repeat at 11:30pm,then separated them at 1am & 2am. Your timers aren't crazy,my directv timer AND Hulu did the same thing. As a side note,Hulu has episode 3 to view now,or at least Hulu Plus does.

I'll be recording the show but as with most things on Syfy I will let it age on the hard drive until a season 2 announcement is made.

Why? I've never understood that though you are not the first person that I've seen say that is what they do.

I figger it is just TV, and I"ll enjoy whatever comes along and if it gets cancelled, BFD!! :)

And as some have noted, the recordings are a bit nutty as it appears that SyFy must be labelling all of last night's showings as new.

Why? I've never understood that though you are not the first person that I've seen say that is what they do.

I figger it is just TV, and I"ll enjoy whatever comes along and if it gets cancelled, BFD!! :)

And as some have noted, the recordings are a bit nutty as it appears that SyFy must be labelling all of last night's showings as new.

I do it with some shows. If the show is going to have a complex plot with huge story arcs, I do not want to invest the time only to have it cancelled and nothing resolved. Things like comedies and episode of the week type shows that are self contained I will watch since I can deal with not knowing minor mysteries that would be unresolved at the end of the series.

Limited amount of time to watch stuff. I don't want to waste any of that time watching something that won't have a conclusion. I tend to watch shows that have an ongoing story arc. I just recently got around to watching The Americans.

Edit: Plus I'm still pissed at Syfy for killing off the Stargate franchise.

Last edited:
Typically when I set up a timer to capture a series I just use the Weekly option vs New. I think its pretty much six of one or a half dozen of the other which is best. Last night you would of been Skipping Eps 1 and 2 multiple times because of the guide info. On the other hand recording repeats happen unless I chose to Skip. Since I am in the guide daily its no big deal to Skip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts