Hello

Dr. Pepper 6044

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 10, 2010
South Georgia
It's been some time since I posted anything here. I'll describe my current experience and read any feedback.
I had a friend switch to Roku and gave me his dish system (in storage). It says 3abn on the dish. This is an azure shine produced
dish with tripod lnb mount on the rim of the dish. The lnb has an angled connection and is now on my home dish working fine with the
accompanying Topfield receiver.

I test dishes, etc. on a speaker tripod on my back patio where I know the position of G19/SES1. A new dish/lnb works fine there with
SQ in the 12db area. I can't get this dish read more than 4ish . The mount is of the 10mm/11/mm bolt size vintage. The mount is
solid and fixed at the elevation known to be accurate here. The tripod mount is very stable while I slightly elevate the dish for tuning
purposes. The string test for dish warpage is right on.

I've used an Invacom, SL1pll, SL1 bullet.

This leads me to believe the lnb mount just doesn't hold the lnb in the central point of the dish's reflection.

I have a new dish with which to replace it, so no big deal to trash it.

Any counsel?

Thanks, Bill

Bill, I have seen Azure Shine dishes with a flat rim but would never receive properly. The old KTI dishes that 3ABN sold would have the same problem now and then. Just recycle the steel. Probably damaged in shipping or handling.
Bob

I'm in a situation again where I just can't get any good SQ. This time, it also relates to an older 3ABN supplied AzureShine dish. The issue is location this time.
The old dish has more rolling around the edge, so it is more rigid and tests to be 'true'.
I installed that old dish in a new location at the user's home with all indications that the line of sight to the bird was well above some tall trees 1-2 hundred feet away.
I got good numbers and the system worked until 2 months ago.
I returned yesterday to see what I could do. The dish's less than stable mount caused it's usual problems, but I could not get good sq.
I assembled a new Glorystar dish .. So much more stable and easy to align... still no useable sq. I had a talk with Aaron at Glorystar. Nice to have an understanding voice on the line. No magic.
I came home with both dishes and mounted one at a time on a tripod on my patio aimed at the known location and bingo, good sq with both dishes.
The only thing I know of that has changed since the successful install last year is the growth of the trees. Sighting up the lnb arm shows it to be WELL ABOVE the trees. DishPointer on iOS also shows G19 WAY above the trees.
I'm kicking myself I didn't take the tripod to evaluate a dish position back from the trees. I certainly will on my next trip there.
Any suggestions?

Bill

It is either tree growth or bad coax (corroded connectors or water in the line).
You said no useable SQ, did you get any SQ at all? Receiver issues?

One other thing I bumped into - they redid a cell tower across a field from the dish. After that no signal, moved dish to the west 150 feet and it worked fine.
Bob

ke4est, the best sq I got was 3.1 on either dish at the lnb with my meter. No cabling issues there. I turned on the receiver (1200) inside and the sl was very high, so I think the cable coming in the house is ok.
Bob, I was thinking of anything like some interference, etc. I'm planning to go back with both dishes and a tripod (didn't have it last time). We're going this coming
Sunday morning. They have 10 acres to roam to find a good spot.

Thanks for your interest, guys.

ke4est.. just a comment. Our son's name is Forrest, named for a high school friend who was killed in VietNam.

Reactions: KE4EST
Well,,,,, There is usually a reason.
This time, it was my well worn slip on coax cable I use to connect my meter to the lnb.
For some reason, it would connect enough to get a SL, but minimal SQ. Replaced the cable and all was good.
Before I really zoomed in on the problem, I had a case where I got good SQ for a second or two. I connected to the receiver inside and viola! good function.
I have a new slip on cable coming from Amazon being delivered today. In the meantime, I've used screw on cables (what a pain) and aimed a couple more dishes.
That old azureshine/3abn dish is in the sun room. I may offer it to someone and I think it will work.
I have a programming issue with a Topfield. I'll ask it on another thread.

Reactions: KE4EST
Hello again after over a year!

I have been using a much more inconvenient test cable on my meter as the above learning experience was a hard one.

I re-installed a system from mid Michigan to southern Alabama. It works fine as far as signal quality, etc. but the problem is that the remote on the 1200 is very flaky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I didn't have an extra remote, but am sending the user a new receiver/remote to try to isolate the fault. A side issue is that his remote for his Samsung TV also is somewhat flaky.
Does anyone know of a situation causing these remotes not to work?

Another question about this receiver: The new one I set up here at my house searched G19 and got many channels that have no signal. A channel I like and usually encourage other users to watch is 'Smart Lifestyle' Channel 122. It isn't on the channel list. I tried adding the channel with the 3010 and 2010 numbers, substituting either of them for the third one. No success.

I remember that Glorystar/SatelliteAV does an update, but don't know if it is still doing so. If so, when? I will leave it on tonight and tomorrow just in case.

:) Thanks for any attention you have time for. Bill