Helmet to Helmet Penalty

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rjruby

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Nazareth, PA
Watching the Broncos-Chargers game yesterday there a couple of times when two Charger defenders collided helmet-to-helmet with each other.

If it would have been a defensive player colliding helmet-to-helmet with an offensive player or vice-versa a penalty would have been called.

If the NFL is serious about reducing concussions, shouldn't a penalty be called even if the the helmet-to-helmet contact is with your own team member?

Why in the world would you want a penalty called for 2 teammates colliding?

NO I don't think so. Teammates would not collide with each other intentionally.

Last edited:
Why in the world would you want a penalty called for 2 teammates colliding?

If the intent of the new rule is to prevent head injury/concussion, what difference does it make how the contact occurred? Devil's advocate here!

If the intent of the new rule is to prevent head injury/concussion, what difference does it make how the contact occurred? Devil's advocate here!

I think there's a difference chip. This would be a terrible idea and besides it doesn't happen a lot. The intent of the new rule is to eliminate head hunting in the NFL while at the same time avoiding future lawsuits from ex NFL players.

Watching the Broncos-Chargers game yesterday there a couple of times when two Charger defenders collided helmet-to-helmet with each other.

If it would have been a defensive player colliding helmet-to-helmet with an offensive player or vice-versa a penalty would have been called.

If the NFL is serious about reducing concussions, shouldn't a penalty be called even if the the helmet-to-helmet contact is with your own team member?

If you want that called then you might as well start having them play flag football instead. I would consider two teammates colliding head first always an accident, unlike against an opponent where it may be construed as happening on purpose...

I get that the NFL is trying to avoid head injuries, but I'm afraid we're going to see more injuries like Rob Gronkowski's as a result of these rules. More and more players are going to be afraid to hit high, and the result will be more serious leg injuries.

This all started when ESPN came out and started with biggest hits and then and still do everyone wants to make that sportscenter moment and this needs to stop before someone gets serious hurt even though a few have already.....imo If they hurt a player that person needs to be ejected and out for as long as the person hurt is out to stop this helmet to helmet hits when we were kids we were not taught to hit or tackle like that!! :)

This all started when ESPN came out and started with biggest hits and then and still do everyone wants to make that sportscenter moment and this needs to stop before someone gets serious hurt even though a few have already.....imo If they hurt a player that person needs to be ejected and out for as long as the person hurt is out to stop this helmet to helmet hits when we were kids we were not taught to hit or tackle like that!! :)
That wasn't ESPN, it was the NFL's-own NFL Films that put out videos like that back in the day:

51Fr6ttV3ML._SL500_SY300_.jpg
51t4nZikWnL._SY300_.jpg
51GV1JAD6CL._SY300_.jpg
51ZRPQK198L._SY300_.jpg

I think there's a difference chip. This would be a terrible idea and besides it doesn't happen a lot. The intent of the new rule is to eliminate head hunting in the NFL while at the same time avoiding future lawsuits from ex NFL players.

I agree there is a difference. I'm just calling into question the NFL's true reasoning behind the rule change. I think it's strictly a CYA thing. If they really cared about player safety, any helmet to helmet contact would be a penalty. A concussion can occur regardless of who is doing the hitting.

I agree there is a difference. I'm just calling into question the NFL's true reasoning behind the rule change. I think it's strictly a CYA thing. If they really cared about player safety, any helmet to helmet contact would be a penalty. A concussion can occur regardless of who is doing the hitting.

I bet if you watched closely, you would see that there are helmet to helmet hits on just about every play in the trenches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)