Help: 622 IR remote seems to die, then wake up

mike528

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
DC area
I have a problem with my ViP 622 that I have not seen addressed on these forums: It seems to need time to "warm up" before it accepts signals from an IR remote.

The problem began a couple of years ago, when I first had problems with my IR remote for TV 1 - it would turn the ViP622 on, and perhaps was good for one or two channel changes after that, but then it would go dead and the box would not react to any more commands from the remote. However, after I left the box on for maybe 5 or 10 minutes, just leaving it alone on the same channel, the box would suddenly start responding to the remote just fine.

I called Dish about this, and they said I just needed a new remote. They sent me an RF remote for TV1. That has worked fine for me. But I got a new Harmony One universal remote for Christmas, which is IR only. So in order to use it with the ViP622, I needed to set the box back to IR. Now I am having the same problem again - the remote (either the original Dish IR remote or the new Harmony) stops working after turning on the box, and doesn't start working until 5 or 10 minutes have gone by.

Has anybody else seen this, or have any explanation for it? Is it normal for a device to have to "warm up" before an IR remote will work with it?

I do have a Sharp 45"LCD TV in the room; I saw in one thread that some people have noted interference between LCD sets and IR signals. But since the TV is on the whole time this is going on, I don't see why the remote would start working again after a few minutes.