Help ! 80+ yr old ordered DirecTv, installing SD right now - shouldnt be HD free instead?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What SD only Legacy gear? All equipment sold these days, is HD capable. All they have to do in the computer, is flip a switch, and the the satellite sends a signal out, that the receiver then gets authorized to tune to HD channels.

Even CATV companies are doing away with the older SD equipment, due to it is cheaper to support HD equipment only, and make the changes in the computer, whether the customer wants HD or no.

looks like SD is"the gold standard" ...

http://www.directv.com/technology/standard_receiver

What SD only Legacy gear? All equipment sold these days, is HD capable. All they have to do in the computer, is flip a switch, and the the satellite sends a signal out, that the receiver then gets authorized to tune to HD channels.

Even CATV companies are doing away with the older SD equipment, due to it is cheaper to support HD equipment only, and make the changes in the computer, whether the customer wants HD or no.

Not true.

Not true.
Sorry, but the majority of equipment sold by providers, is HD capable. What little that is out there that customers have, is yes SD only. But now as of 2012, all you get when you sign up is HD capable equipment.

It is easier to make a switch in the computer, and cheaper to carry this equipment then stock SD only & HD capable equipment. It helps the bottom line, along with keeping the costs down for the customers.

That one you linked is the D12. Yes it is still being sold, but very few people are getting those anymore. It is now becoming the standard to issue out HD capable receivers. The D12 should be coming up on its EOL (End Of Life) here soon. DirecTV is in the process of getting rid of any equipment in their line, that is pre-HR24 right now.

So which is it, is all equipment hd capable or only the majority? BTW, we are talking about Directv only. If you sign up for sd service, unless you are in an mpeg4 local dma, you get sd equipment, not hd.

So which is it, is all equipment hd capable or only the majority? BTW, we are talking about Directv only. If you sign up for sd service, unless you are in an mpeg4 local dma, you get sd equipment, not hd.
Already stated. It is any provider out there. All equipment that is given to customers these days, regardless who you have as your tv provider, will be mpeg4 capable.

The equipment that is only mpeg2, is being discontinued by all tv provider, regardless who they are. As I stated before, the only reason you see the D12 out there, is because Direct has not put it on the EOL list yet.

I'd say. Generally they charge for dish on the pole but HD should be done unless she doesn't have a hd tv.

No they don't. Every D* (and E*) install in my complex uses a pole and not a single one of us were charged for it. My buddy down the road has it and REQUESTED a pole, and the installer did it without a question.

No they don't. Every D* (and E*) install in my complex uses a pole and not a single one of us were charged for it. My buddy down the road has it and REQUESTED a pole, and the installer did it without a question.

Mother was charged 50$ for her pole install. :-(

It sounds like they are getting rid of inventory in a way to minimize net cost. In this case, give the d12 to little old ladies. ugh.

What we do is install HD equipment anyways but do not have HD programming added so if later down the road if they decide to get HD programming the equipment is already installed so it is just a matter of turning on the HD programming.

You can't do that, because the second you add the HD equipment on the account you get a $10 charge for HD Programming.

Only way that will work is if your in an MPEG4 market.

It is any provider out there. All equipment that is given to customers these days, regardless who you have as your tv provider, will be mpeg4 capable.

I don't know what you're putting in your coffee, but I GUARANTEE you this is NOT true for "all providers out there"!

DISH is STILL installing MPEG2 SD-only receivers on Western Arc as we speak.
Many cable co are STILL passing out old (legacy) MPEG2-only boxes to this day; I know this for a FACT with Comcast.
CC has also (& STILL) is passing out MPEG2 SD-only DTA's for a large majority of their subs.
And, Cass Cable north of us, STILL uses MPEG2 Moto boxes - w/analog tuners in them to boot! - to this day!

There are millions of SD only STBs out there that aren't going away Anytime soon.

I think all providers should put out HD capable boxes for new installs and let customers stick with SD and SD rates. But include at least one HD channel, with plenty of eye candy. So if the customer has an HDTV they will see the tease and inquire and some will upgrade.

How many years has it been since an SD or even ED TV been sold?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You can't do that, because the second you add the HD equipment on the account you get a $10 charge for HD Programming.

Only way that will work is if your in an MPEG4 market.
Incorrect. It is only if you choose to get HD programming, that they charge you the $10 service charge on your bill.

I don't know what you're putting in your coffee, but I GUARANTEE you this is NOT true for "all providers out there"!

DISH is STILL installing MPEG2 SD-only receivers on Western Arc as we speak.
Many cable co are STILL passing out old (legacy) MPEG2-only boxes to this day; I know this for a FACT with Comcast.
CC has also (& STILL) is passing out MPEG2 SD-only DTA's for a large majority of their subs.
And, Cass Cable north of us, STILL uses MPEG2 Moto boxes - w/analog tuners in them to boot! - to this day!
Those so called Mpeg2 boxes that Cass Cable uses, are able to be upgraded through the coax, to start using Mpeg4. The analog tuners can also be turned off by the push of the button in the computer. There is no mpeg2 only, analog only box out in the market as of now. Any that may be still in operation, would be on older plants, that are so far behind the times, it is not funny.

And why are we arguing about this anyways, unless you just want to stir things up.

There are millions of SD only STBs out there that aren't going away Anytime soon.

I think all providers should put out HD capable boxes for new installs and let customers stick with SD and SD rates. But include at least one HD channel, with plenty of eye candy. So if the customer has an HDTV they will see the tease and inquire and some will upgrade.

How many years has it been since an SD or even ED TV been sold?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
They will be going out, as they start phasing out support for them. When customers refuse to change over, or think that they are going to get charged for something, when they actually are not, it just takes a little bit of education. There have been plenty of times that providers have turned off the connection for customers, especially when they started the whole digital conversion, by turning the customer off, until they either replaced their box, or allowed the provider to send someone to come into the home and exchange the old box for the new box.

Those so called Mpeg2 boxes that Cass Cable uses, are able to be upgraded through the coax, to start using Mpeg4.

Uh, how so...when those Motorola boxes were made back over 10+ years ago, when MPEG4 was NOT even on the horizon??? :rolleyes:

The analog tuners can also be turned off by the push of the button in the computer.

Considering Cass is NOT digital simulcasting the basic analog tier, that's not going to work too well...

And why are we arguing about this anyways, unless you just want to stir things up.

Because you keep saying things as facts, that in reality do NOT exist... :p

You have NO clue what you're talking about re: DirecTV - you DO realize that Claude IS a dealer & knows what he's talking about.
And what Claude told you re: NO HD receivers on an SD-only account IS, & has been a DirecTV policy, for quite some time now.
I didn't say it was smart; but it's what their bean-counters have decided to do for now.

Sorry dishrich, but I do have a clue. More then you do. All I see you doing in these forums, is protecting those who should not be named, without pulling your head out from under your rock. Maybe if you stopped with the ego, people would like you better.

I bet all you are, is some low level Customer Service Representative, or still working at Best Buy.

To let you in on a little secret, Cass Cable does transmit Digital. What do you think HD is. Also the DVR's they use are mpeg-4 capable, along with the other boxes that they are handing out.

Anyone with an older DCT STB, it is again a flip of the switch at the VHO, and the end user with that older STB, will still receive the digital broadcast, but it their box will show it in mpeg-2 format, due to the equipment that the catv provider uses, to convert mpeg-4 to mpeg-2.

Maybe if you started to pay more attention my son, you would know what is going on in the industry.

As for Claude being a dealer, he may not sell the HD boxes, but Direct is pushing them out to consumers as they deplete their older stock. It is the same thing with CATV providers. It makes it a lot easier for providers to be able to change the customer account if they want HD sometime in the future, if they already have the box, then wait for the customer to replace an old SD box, which will be phased out pretty soon, by the end of this year.

Incorrect. It is only if you choose to get HD programming, that they charge you the $10 service charge on your bill.

As previously stated, the only way to get hd equipment from Directv is to either subscribe to hd programming, or be in an mpeg4 market for your local channels. You can't get hd equipment any other way, not yet anyways.

As previously stated, the only way to get hd equipment from Directv is to either subscribe to hd programming, or be in an mpeg4 market for your local channels. You can't get hd equipment any other way, not yet anyways.
By this time, every market should be mpeg4, or soon to be mpeg4. That means that by the end of the year, mpeg2 equipment should be phased out. Also Direct cannot tell a customer that they cannot have an HD box, if they do not subscribe to HD, under FCC regulations.

As of this year all CATV, IPTV, & Satellite provider have to comply with the "Open Standard". That means that they have to issue out HD capable boxes to all customers, whether they are paying for hd channels or not.

Also this was discussed in this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/324582-2014-MPEG-4-Conversions So please do not keep going on that DirecTV does not have plans to end mpeg-2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)