Help ! 80+ yr old ordered DirecTv, installing SD right now - shouldnt be HD free instead?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
count me as one of those who has sd only equipment. HD is nice, especially for sports, but i just don't think it's good enough to warrant having to pay $10 more a month.

Now if directv wants to upgrade all my sd recievers, install a new dish all for free and waive the $10 a month fee. then sign me up :D
I'd agree with you if this was still 2006-2007 when there were only a handful of HD channels. Now that pretty much everything is in HD, I'd happily pay the $10 fee and be even more happy if they got rid of the fee and made HD the standard. Heck, a good chunk of the channels are HD standard only now meaning if you have the SD version, you're watching in letterbox and that looks really bad on a HDTV.

count me as one of those who has sd only equipment. HD is nice, especially for sports, but i just don't think it's good enough to warrant having to pay $10 more a month.

Now if directv wants to upgrade all my sd recievers, install a new dish all for free and waive the $10 a month fee. then sign me up :D

Actually, D* may upgrade your recvrs for very little, they Will install the required new dish (SWM3/5) for free and any other switches needed.

There was a time that they were giving HD Free for 2 years.

I respect your opinion, but I feel the opposite. I live in a tiny town that only has basic Comcast cable. No HD offered. The picture is horrible. Three years ago I signed up with DTV just so I could get HD. I now have 6 HD dvr's and I couldn't be happier.

My sister on the other hand is a DTV customer and has a standard receiver. She said "I just can't really tell a difference." Are you kidding me????

Anyway each to his own.

I respect your opinion, but I feel the opposite. I live in a tiny town that only has basic Comcast cable. No HD offered. The picture is horrible. Three years ago I signed up with DTV just so I could get HD. I now have 6 HD dvr's and I couldn't be happier.

My sister on the other hand is a DTV customer and has a standard receiver. She said "I just can't really tell a difference." Are you kidding me????

Anyway each to his own.

The reason these people can't see the difference is they don't have an HD TV set up next to thier own SD TV.

You'll see that type of thing happening in the Box stores that sell TVs too, you'll see a TV that they think looks great, till they see the one next to it ... IF you show them both, they will see the difference, many people would buy the TV that doesn't look as good, if they never see a better one next to it.

I agree with you Jimbo. Prior to getting DTV I had two HD tv's, but of course they weren't being utilized properly since I didn't have HD cable. I would go over to my friends house that did have HD and was blown away with the picture. I guess maybe some people don't watch tv anywhere but home.

My sister does come over to my house and go to other homes that have HD, but she doesn't feel the need for it. I think she was adopted.

I agree with you Jimbo. Prior to getting DTV I had two HD tv's, but of course they weren't being utilized properly since I didn't have HD cable. I would go over to my friends house that did have HD and was blown away with the picture. I guess maybe some people don't watch tv anywhere but home.

My sister does come over to my house and go to other homes that have HD, but she doesn't feel the need for it. I think she was adopted.

:D

You also have a WIDE variety of HD sets out there, some VERY GOOD others avg and still others that look good in the store, but not necessarily when you get them home and watch them for awhile.

Shouldn't even be an option they need to stop selling legacy SD gear and start upgrading so the MPEG2 bandwidth can be used for bigger and better things.

I disagree. Unless of course there is no additional fees for the HD upgrade.
In my world, never take away a product option unless it is obsolete.
SD is not obsolete and as such, if it a less expensive option for certain customers, let them have it.
Eventually, SD will no longer be available. Until then...

What we do is install HD equipment anyways but do not have HD programming added so if later down the road if they decide to get HD programming the equipment is already installed so it is just a matter of turning on the HD programming.

Dish has been doing that with regular customers for over 5 years.
There is a promotion of which I forget the name where the customer has questionable credit can pay a certain amount. That promo came with SD equipment only.

Actually, D* may upgrade your recvrs for very little, they Will install the required new dish (SWM3/5) for free and any other switches needed.

There was a time that they were giving HD Free for 2 years.

good to know that they will install the dish for free. but still until they force me or they remove the hd fee permanently, i won't be upgrading to hd. not when my tv bill goes up every year anyways due to rate hikes

Anyway each to his own.

oh you can defintley tell the difference. i watch OTA in hd and the picture is waaay better than sd no doubt about it. but still not worth it to me to have to pay extra for it.

My parents got an HDTV last year and even upgraded their Dish Network equipment to get HD. My dad swears it's worse than "the old TV" all the time. I have seen it myself and ... well, it's Dish Network HD - pretty bad ... but it's still better than SD.

good to know that they will install the dish for free. but still until they force me or they remove the hd fee permanently, i won't be upgrading to hd. not when my tv bill goes up every year anyways due to rate hikes

oh you can defintley tell the difference. i watch OTA in hd and the picture is waaay better than sd no doubt about it. but still not worth it to me to have to pay extra for it.

Do you drink Coffee ?
If so you probably spend more than that in a week.

My parents got an HDTV last year and even upgraded their Dish Network equipment to get HD. My dad swears it's worse than "the old TV" all the time. I have seen it myself and ... well, it's Dish Network HD - pretty bad ... but it's still better than SD.
Was the new HDTV ever calibrated, using a Calibration Blu-Ray, or say the THX iOS app for calibrating? If the tv is still as it was out of the box, yes the picture can still be pretty bad. Also if the output setting of the DVR or STB, is set in Native, or 480i, the picture can be bad.

The last would be how good is dad's eyesight. He may be having vision problems, which happens with a lot of people, when they state they cannot see the difference.

Do you drink Coffee ?
If so you probably spend more than that in a week.

no actually i don't but i get your point :)

money is a tight, so adding an additional $10 a month to my tv bill for something i really don't need isn't exactly a wise thing to do.

It's definitely worth a call to see if you can get the fee waived. I have been a Directv customer for over 3 years and have yet to pay a cent for HD.

Well, if you do the Starbucks, you have it paid for in a few days. :D
More like Twelve bucks. I just go to Family Dollar, and pick, up a $6 can of the store brand, or wait until Folgers or Maxwell house goes on sale, and get a can of either of those brands. Only those who wished that they had money, waste it going to Twelvebucks for the same stuff in the stores.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts